Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dixon1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Bath tub not draining
    My tub won't has not drained for months. I've used every product on the market and at this point I think it needs to be rodded. Who can I get an estimate from?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon1 View Post
    My tub won't has not drained for months. I've used every product on the market and at this point I think it needs to be rodded. Who can I get an estimate from?
    Why not save big bucks and do it yourself? We can walk you through the process if you wish. Interested?
    As to the cost of a clearing out your tubs drain, figure the service call antwhere from 75 to 95$ with a total cost of around $150 to snake your tub.
    Want to try it yourself? Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 06:19 PM

Here is one, free, possible solution. Remove overflow faceplate, shove a wet rag into the overflow tube to seal it up, them hold the rag in place and plung the holy bejesus out of tub drain. I suggest having the tub partially full of water while you do this, as the water will help the cleaning action of the plunging. There is another way also, you can just use a towel to plug the drain and actually plung over the overflow faceplate, only downfall to this is you won't have the standing water to help the plung action.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 14, 2009, 05:27 AM

Can you reach the plumbing from below?
    The trap and other plumbing, if accessible is easily done and as Tom said, people here will step you through it.

I don't use drain cleaners and all of my friends now know how to remove a trap to clean it, and how to snake as well. It's safer and better, and once you do it - you won't feel so helpless when your tub/shower drain clogs again. It also helps on the pocket book.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2009, 05:45 AM
    Because a "P" trap's self scouring it's not likely you'll find your clog there. More then likely it's farther on down the line. In a earlier post I asked you if you wanted to do the job yourself. Do you still plan on calling in a plumber? Cheers, tom

Sep 14, 2009, 05:51 AM

Tom, sorry - should not have tried to post under you. LOL

I suggested this only because this is where I find things like bobby pins and other debris, and if not, I just snake from that point on.

You can't always do that, however.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2009, 06:04 AM
    That's OK Cyber, (do you have a name?) Any time you have something to add, be my guest. While I've found bobby pins in lavatory traps most tub clogs consist of hair mixed with grease in the drain line. Keep up the good work. Your input's apprecated.
    Regards, tom

Sep 14, 2009, 06:25 AM

Most call me Am. (sounds like aim)

The hair accessories are in houses with teenage girls, and I find them everywhere. Small toys like those little miniture size dolls.
    One time a toy sized sword from an action hero. LOL

When I am a household with kids, I check at that trap first if I can. Once had an apple in the toilet trap. That apple extraction wasn't too easy.

I guess I have been around more kids and girly related issues then the average - eh? (grin)
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Am,
    Once had an apple in the toilet trap. That apple extraction wasn't too easy.
    Why did you pull the toilet to extract the apple. Why didn't you take a closet auger ,break it up and flush it away? Inquiring minds want to know. Regards, Tom

Sep 14, 2009, 11:37 AM

Made me madder the heck. Wouldn't have pulled it if I didn't have to. Of course, if I would have known it was an apple from the start? LOL
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 16, 2009, 05:22 AM
    My tub won't has not drained for months. I've used every product on the market and at this point I think it needs to be rodded.
    This is a simple repair. Let me show you how.
    Unscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper. (see image) You now have a clear shot at the trap. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best or 3/8ths" with a small auger tip. A hand snake will do it, (see image) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the worm should auger into it and pull it back. After flush with a half of tub full of hot water. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub & bath sink not draining, slab foundation and septic system [ 1 Answers ]

The tub and bathroom sink will not drain. I have plunged and have used chemicals. This house is on a slab foundation and septic tank. All of the other plumbing in house is fine, ie: kitchen,washer,etc.

Very slow draining bath tub [ 4 Answers ]

I had my bathroom remodeled a couple of months ago. The tub was moved and replaced. There were a lot of gurgling sounds coming from the tub when the laundry was running so I called the contractor. He came back out and did something with the cap, the top piece on the large white pipe in the...

Slow draining bath sinks since replacement [ 5 Answers ]

I recently redid my master bathroom. Since replacing the cultured marble countertop with sinks built in and new faucets the sinks drain slow. If I turn water off and let the water drain out when sink is almost empty there is a big air bubble that comes out of drain and then water drains OK until...

Bath Tud Drain not draining [ 1 Answers ]

The Bath tub drain is not draining like it should -- very slow -- I think the open/close mechanism is the problem, but don't know how to fix/replace.

Bath tub draining [ 1 Answers ]

I have a stupid question: How fast is a bath tub supposed to drain?

View more questions Search