Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slyder_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Running in wall Coaxial Cable from Existing wall
    Hi there,

Is there someone here who is expert on electrical? I need help on running coaxial cable to my existing walls. I have a 1st floor where I have access to drilling holes into the second floor. I am willing to cut open holes for installing the single gang boxes. Now, here are my questions.

1. Which in wall boxes should I get for existing walls? Where do I get them?
    2. what type of coaxial cable should I use for Digital video?

Thanks guys.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 05:04 PM
    Just use the same old junction boxes as for any other electrical. Old work boxes are slick for retro fits. You just cut a hole to fit in the drywall and tighten up a screw on the side to clamp it solid. No trying to nail into a stud. You can buy plates with the F style connectors or other things too, telephone, ethernet, etc. I have one where my cable comes in with an F style and an ethernet. Home centers and electrical supplies have them.

Not sure what style cable.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 06:36 PM
    To add to labman's info, look for , at the big hardware stores, "old work" boxes made for data, they have no backs to the boxes or rings.

Use RG-6 CATV coax cable rated for Digital , and the best crimp- on connectors you can buy. There is a special tool to crimp, usually comes in a kit.

The connectors can be a little challenging, so buy extras and practice. May need to get a stripping tool for the best connection, as there are four layers till you get to the copper wire, and each layer needs to be cut differently. A how to book will help.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Oct 26, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Attached is a picture of one of the old work data boxes that tkrussell is referring to (I think). The problem with using regular electrical boxes is that it's hard to get the cable out of the box without bending it too much which can compromise the shield.

Actually, I don't think that code even requires a box for this. My cousin is a CATV installer and he gave me some wall plates that attach with these screws that have real deep threads. You just screw them right into the drywall. I've used a few of them already, and they work great. If you're not fishing the cable (like coming through the wall from the outside), all you need is a hole big enough for the cable, and then you just screw the plate to the wall. If you're fishing the cable you can put a bigger hole, as long as the plate covers it. The only problem is that I can't seem to find these plates anywhere. I'm going to ask my cousin where he gets them.
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 08:11 PM
    I think Home Depot and the local professional electrical supply had the plates, at least plates with holes and modules. Radio Shack and Ace hardware have F style plates.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 08:23 AM

When fishing from 1 location to another, Consider From underneath, from above and through other walls, coming down from the attic(or up from below) through a closet and out to other side is sometimes an option.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 09:39 AM

Strat, this item is from four years ago.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 10:08 AM
    Strat must be bored.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall gets wet [ 2 Answers ]

Every time when showering the wall outside of curtain get wet. I bought the curve rod to help with this problem but its still gets wet. Can't figure out where the water is coming from. Any ideas on this?

Moving an existing toilet closer to the wall [ 1 Answers ]

I might be trying to do the impossible, but I thought I'd ask you before asking a plumber so I wouldn't appear completely out of my mind. I live in a condominium building with concrete slab floors and would like to move my toilet back to create a little more space in the bathroom. Is there a...

Running wiring on external wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Victorian home which has had the wiring partially updated (previous owners). I would like to add new wiring to the 2nd and 3rd floor, but would like to run it on the outside wall. My plan was install PCV conduit (tube) near the panel in the basement through the wall and up...

Running water sound inside the wall [ 2 Answers ]

Water running sound inside the wall pipes going upstairs.

View more questions Search