Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toknowavail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 02:40 PM
    New Washer - Old Standpipe Backing Up
    We bought a new washer 10/2006 and it immediately flooded our garage floor. The standpipe was leaking at the base anyway and I thought there was a clog so I decided to cut the old one off... augered 20 feet into the main line (which revealed nothing), repiped it and then poured virgin sulfuric acid for good measure to get rid of any buildups past the 20 foot mark. It still backed up so I got on the roof and ran a hose on full throttle and flushed the vent out. Water backed up through the standpipe then too. Is that normal?

A couple things I noticed when I did all of this was that I didn't really smell any sewer gases coming into the garage which I thought was odd so maybe the clog is really way down? And the other thing is that the water drains... just not as fast as it needs to.

The new washer has a pump that requires a minimum 17 gal. per minute carry away rate. Is it possible that the pump is just too powerful for the existing plumbing or should I just bite the bullet and pay a plumber to run a snake further down the system?

Our house was built in 1962 and the existing plumbing is 1 1/2in cast iron and it transitions into a 2in. Standpipe that measures 45inches from base to top.

I read from another site that a guy just installed a new utility tub to drain his washer into. I don't know if that would solve the problem, but I'd consider doing that too.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 02:48 PM
    You are not the first one to have this problem. I think in one thread the lady finally took the washer back and got one with a lower discharge rate. You could try putting a restriction in the discharge line. Maybe just partly collapse the hose with a C-clamp to see if it works.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by toknowavail
    We bought a new washer 10/2006 and it immediately flooded our garage floor. The standpipe was leaking at the base anyway and I thought there was a clog so I decided to cut the old one off... augered 20 feet into the main line (which revealed nothing), repiped it and then poured virgin sulfuric acid for good measure to get rid of any buildups past the 20 foot mark. It still backed up so I got on the roof and ran a hose on full throttle and flushed the vent out. Water backed up through the standpipe then too. Is that normal?

A couple things I noticed when I did all of this was that I didn't really smell any sewer gases coming into the garage which I thought was odd so maybe the clog is really way down?? and the other thing is that the water drains... just not as fast as it needs to.

The new washer has a pump that requires a minumum 17 gal. per minute carry away rate. Is it possible that the pump is just too powerful for the existing plumbing or should I just bite the bullet and pay a plumber to run a snake further down the system?

Our house was built in 1962 and the existing plumbing is 1 1/2in cast iron and it transitions into a 2in. standpipe that measures 45inches from base to top.

I read from another site that a guy just installed a new utility tub to drain his washer into. I don't know if that would solve the problem, but I'd consider doing that too.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Transitioning a 1-1/2" drain to a 2" standpipe creates a choke-point where the two meet.

Today's code requires a 2" drain, trap arm and trap for a clotheswasher.

Given the high discharge capacity of modern clotheswashers, you might want to think about upgrading your drain, trap arm and trap.

As for the water coming out the stand-pipe when you jetted the vent, it sounds like you have a blockage downstream of the 20 foot mark.
    toknowavail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 04:01 PM
    Would a bladder attached to garden hose work for flushing that far down the drainline? I also read from another post about placing a compression fitting?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 04:14 PM
    I think you're talking about a 'Drain-King'. I've used those with mixed results.

One bad thing about using those, is that you run the risk of having the water back up through the drain or vent of another fixture if the blockage is a very severe one.

Given that the problem persists after you ran out 20 feet of cable, I'd say your problem is severe enough to warrant a thorough drain cleaning by a rooter service.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 04:18 PM
    The bladder on the hose won't help if there is a branch between it and any clog. Your water supply might not supply 17 gpm. You can rent a longer drain auger, but I doubt a clog is the problem. In 20 feet does the drain tee into a 3-4'' line? Sealing the hose to the stand pipe with a compression fitting as you read often works in many cases. If you do so, and there is a clog, it may cause a back up in other branches.

It is quite common to throttle the output of centrifugal pumps, and shouldn't hurt your washing machine. I have no idea why manufacturers are going to such outlandish high discharge rates, 17 gph? That would fill over three 5 gallon pails in a minute.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standpipe Design Question, Washer [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first post to these forums, I've been going nuts trying to find an answer to this question. But first, let me thank Speedball for posting a part of a plumbing code dealing with cutting and notching load bearing walls. 2 1/8 inch bit through the top plates of an exterior wall mid...

Washer backing up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys. My 21-year-old son recently brought a house (6 months). I am very proud of him but very disappointed in the house. In a very short time we have found many problems with this house. It angers me because my son is a hard worker, good kid and deserves better. So, after this small intro,...

Washer backing up into kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago our kitchen sink started backing up with water whenever we use the washing machine. We are on a septic system and have never had any problems until now. The house was built back in the 50's so we're not sure if there is a grease trap to be the cause of the issue. We've put root...

Water Overflowing over Washer Standpipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2" PVC standpipe that is 33" tall. It feeds into a 2" P trap (cast-iron) connected to a 2" T. The top of the T is the vent pipe, and the bottom is connected to the sewer line. Using a garden hose, I can open it at max, with no overflow. I ran a snake into the cast-iron P trap (and as far...

Washer drain backing up [ 3 Answers ]

Moved into a 2 story townhouse recently and bought a new over/under washer and drier. While doing some wash my wife noticed that when the washer drained it backed up into the sink. The lucky thing was it was a small load. This morning was an extra large load, and it backed up so bad that it...

View more questions Search