Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mendesoto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Hot Water Heater Leaky Drain Valve
    The Drain Valve on my Hot Water Heater is Leaking rather badly. Is there anything I can do to correct this short of replacing the Hot Water Heater. This Hot Water Heater is approximately 8 to 10 years old. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mendesoto View Post
    The Drain Valve on my Hot Water Heater is Leaking rather badly. Is there anything I can do to correct this short of replacing the Hot Water Heater. This Hot Water Heater is approximately 8 to 10 years old. Thanks
    Shut the power and water off and drain the heater. Purchase a 1/2" boiler drain( see image) and some Teflon Tape. Wrap the threads in Te4flon Tape and replace nthe valve. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 04:03 PM

I assume it is leaking from the spout of the hose bib... Go to Home Depot and buy 7/8" plug. Screw it on onto the spigot and that will stop it from leaking...

Water heaters have lousy drain valves. They are either plastic or this flimsy brass valve. Both are cheap valves. Once you open them you will have hard time closing them. You apply little pressure and you break it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2009, 06:46 AM
    QUOTE]I assume it is leaking from the spout of the hose bib... Go to Home Depot and buy 7/8" plug. Screw it on onto the spigot and that will stop it from leaking... [/QUOTE]
    Milo, I'm curious. 7/8ths plug? Would this be a plastic sil cock cap? (see image) Or are you suggesting removing the boiler drain and plugging the drain hole? Inquiring minds want to know! Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 07:49 AM

Tom, yes, it is the plug you plug the spigot itself with. Sorry about not making it clear...

Of course, removing existing bib is also an option - but it can get very messy. ( Believe it or not, I've learnt to swap a bad valve with new one without draining heater - but I would never recommend this approach to an inexperienced Home Owner :-D )
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 08:25 AM

Tom's fix has served me well a few times. Cheap and easy, just like me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic drain valve on water heater. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there. I'd like to replace the white plastic drain valve on my GE water heater with a brass fixture so I can drain it regularly. Before I replace the valve, I got to drain the tank. I've never used one of these plastic drains before. Every tank I've had has had a metal spigot. This plastic valve...

New water heater, leaky pressure valve [ 4 Answers ]

I installed a new water heater and the pop off or pressure valve is leaking a small stream of water. Can this be stopped without installing a new valve?

Hot water heater leaking from drain valve [ 4 Answers ]

Hi There, My gas water heater developed a leak but it is coming through the discharge valve towards the bottom of the tank. This is the valve where I hook up the hose to flush the tank... Does this mean that the tank is breaking? I opened the valve an tried to flush it but the leak won't stop...

Leaking drain valve on water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a slow drip on the drain valve on my water heater. We've flushed the water heater about a month ago, but now we have a very slow drip from the drain valve. It's dripping at a rate of about 2 cups a week, no matter how tightly we turn the knob on the valve. Any ideas?

Leaky Sink Valve & No Hot Water [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought my house and it is a 1985 construction. All of the hot water works in the house except for the upstairs bathroom sink in the master bedroom :eek: . The hot water in the tub works great but nothing but cold water comes out of the sink if you turn either knob. In addition, the cutoff...

View more questions Search