Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Swag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 10:37 AM
    I want to add a second floor laundry room
    I want to build a laundry room on my second floor. I will share a wall with the master bathroom specifically beside the shower. Is it possible for me to tap into the hot/cold water and drain for my shower to make this work?

I know I will need to run a 220v line for my dryer and vent the dryer through the roof.

Any suggestions on making this work or an easy job?

Thanks
    Swag
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 11:34 AM

Tapping into water lines not a problem.

Shower waste needs to be 2'' in order to use it for washer. U will also have to add a vent.

Good luck

Chuck
    Swag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 01:24 PM

Thanks... I was thinking the drain was the issue. Where would I tap into the drain line? I have not opened the wall at all to see what size line is there right now. I can take the drywall down in my bedroom on the other side of the faucet for the shower. I know I will be looking at the overflow drain for the tub when I do that. Can I tap into that line if it is 2"?

The washer is going to be on the adjcent wall so I need to run lines over to where the washer will be.

Thanks for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
    I will be looking at the overflow drain for the tub when I do that. Can I tap into that line if it is 2"?
    You wish to tie the washer drain into the rub waste?
    BAD IDEA!! If you read the complaints we get about washer backups out of a stand pipe that's 36 " above just what do you think will happen when your washer pump discharges into a fitting that's connected to your bathtub at floor level.
    That's right,sports fans! The bath tub turns into a holding tank for all the water the washer sends it . This isn't all bad. It could really cut down on the water bill.
    Let's say you want to take a bath. Ya just sit in the empty tub while the laundry's being done. As the washer discharges the tub fills and you simply close the stopper to keep the water in. You save on both the water bill and since it's soapy water you also save on soap.
    Don't like that idea? Then you better hunt around for a stack that you can cut in a sanitary tee and a standpipe to drain the washer into. That would be your best shot. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Hi all:

Tom said TUB, but meant shower.. I am sure. Fact still holds, never a good idea to connect a washing machine or a kitchen sink into a flat-bottomed fixture (tub or shower)... just collects as mentioned... can be very yucky!

Connect at the stack as suggested by Tom... this is best alternative! Connect in with a WYE fitting, run 2" pipe, connnect PTRAP and run an 1/5" vent to connect into the shower vent at about 48" off finish floor.

Let us know if you need more info...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2009, 04:23 PM
    OOPS! My bad! But the tub joke was still a good rap!! Right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaking from our shower into the laundry room on the floor [ 1 Answers ]

We just installed a shower in our basement. We used marble 12" tile for the walls and marble 1" tiles for the floor. We did a flood test by plugging the drain and filling the pan with water. It held and did not have leaks! The problem is when we open the drain and run the shower. The water...

Clogged laundry room floor drain - slab house [ 2 Answers ]

What a watery mystery I have in my laundry room. Whenever my washing machine empties the tub of water it backs up into the nearby floor drain. I had a plumber out and he snaked the drain (not through the roof vent, but throughout the cleanout by the floor drain). Because he only had a 50' snake...

Floor Drain Backed up in Laundry room [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've lived in my house for 5 years. It was built in 1957. It is a great, sturdy house. The biggest headache is that, occasionally, since the beginning - our laundry room floor drain backs up. I'd like to understand what is happening as best I can. I am not a plummer, but I am willing to...

Moving Laundry room from basement to second floor [ 2 Answers ]

I appreciate any help I can get. I have an old house (1899) and the upstairs bathroom is divided in two. One side only has a sink. I have removed this sink and want to convert to laundrey room. I currently have the hot and cold supply lines and the drain for the sink. The drain comes...

Moving Laundry room to 2nd floor [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I'm getting tired of lugging laundry up and down stairs. While I appreciate the fitness of using stairs, I'm clumsy and likely to take a fall one of these days! So, I'm moving the laundry room to the 2nd floor room over garage. I'm sharing details to get a sanity check and for any other DIY...

View more questions Search