Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marlenet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 04:20 PM
    Dishwasher hookup
    Installed a brand new dishwasher recently. Put a t connection off the hot water pipe that goes to the kitchen sink. However water that is going to the dishwasher is cold. Have pulled the dishwasher out to make sure that we hooked into the hot water and it is definitely the hot water pipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks Marlene
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Hi Mariene,
    Let's test the hook up out. Turn on the hot water to the sink and let it run until it's hot. Now kick on the dish washer. Hot water going in now? You have to run all the water that's been setting in the pipe out before you get the really hot stuff. The farther it is to the water heater the more water you have to run out. Good luck and let me know. Tom

Oct 8, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Hi Tom I have tried letting it run for the whole cycle the water only gets lukewarm and I assume the dishwasher is heating it. We pulled it out of the cabinet and ran it. The hot water pipe comes up from the basement and then there is a t joint that goes one way to the sink the other to the dishwasher. You can feel the copper pipe and the fitting of the flex line is real hot. The flex line doesn't feel hot. Thanks Marlene
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2006, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marlenet
    Hi Tom I have tried letting it run for the whole cycle the water only gets lukewarm and I assume the dishwasher is heating it. We pulled it out of the cabinet and ran it. The hot water pipe comes up from the basement and then there is a t joint that goes one way to the sink the other to the dishwasher. You can feel the copper pipe and the fitting of the flex line is real hot. The flex line doesn't feel hot. Thanks Marlene
    Some newer dishwashers (Miele's and Bosch's, for example) and a few other European imports require a cold water supply, rather than a hot water supply -- And will actually wait to cycle until the water is brought down to a certain temperature before re-heating the water.

I've actually made quite a few service calls where I had to reverse the connections made by 'factory authorized installers'.

Just a thought.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2006, 06:47 AM
    Hey Mariene,

If you have hot water to the sink and it's luke warm at the dishwasher then Growler may be on to something. Since I've been retired for some years and Growler's still out in the field he would know more about the newer appliances then I would. Thanks Growler for the neat explanation. What's the brand name of your dishwasher so we can look up some specs and see if he's correct. But win, lose or draw something's preventing the hot water from reaching the washer and we need all the details you can provide to find out what. Do you still have the installation manual that came with it? Regards, Tom

Oct 9, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Hi Guys The dishwasher is 2 weeks old and is a LG model LDS5811 It says in the installation book to hook to hot water at a tempature of 120 f and no higher than 145 f. I used my meat thermometer and my water temp at the kitchen sink is about 130 f. My glassware and silverware is coming out with streaks and spots and have to be re wiped. Some of the glasses I have to wet to get the spots off. I have checked my rinseaid and everything else I could think of. Mid way through the cycle the water in bottom is hot but I don't think its as hot as it should be and I can't understand how 10 minutes in when the water at the sink is scalding hot in the dishwasher it is lukewarm to the touch. Thanks Marlene
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Now that you've shot Growlers explanation down,( I still think it was a great one) what are we left with? We can rule out a cross connection since you're taking off the supply directly from the hot water feed to the sink. You haven't said if the water entering the washer is a string stream so before you do anything more you might want to disconnect the washer supply from the fitting on the washer and check the screen for blockage.
    Having done that all we're left with is a two week old dish washer that's malfunctioning. Your washer's under warranty, if everything else fails then call the seller and ask for a service call. Good luck. Tom

Oct 16, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Hey Guys Thanks for all your help with my question about the dishwasher. I thought I would let you know that I tried unsuccessfully to get 1 of LG's technicians in to look at the dishwasher. I ended up getting the plumber back in today and he verified that the hot water was getting into it fine so I had him unhook it and I returned to the store. They are going to deliver a new 1 to me Friday. Thanks again Marlene

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amp hookup [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new car with a good stereo system in it but it doesn't have the preamp outputs for the rca cables is there another way to hook my amp and subwoofers up to my stereo? If so how can go about doing it.

Amp sub hookup [ 1 Answers ]

My sub is a kicker s15 15 inch 1500w solo baric. What wattage should I get for an amp?

Hookup for A/C relay [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed an A/C unit to my furnace. I want to confirm where the relay wires go as well as the other thermostat wires. Furnace has C W R G Y terminals. Thermostat has W R G Y terminals. There are four wires running between them, and two are hooked up. They are White -...

Hookup TV [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hookup my TV to DVD/VCR, Satellite, Cable? I can get the satellite and cable to work but not the DVD/VCR:confused:

Wireless hookup to PC [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a belkin wireless G router and have it hooked up to my PC. I want to run my laptop to it also. I would appreciate any help in this.

View more questions Search