Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ahelpinhypocrit Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Toilet has no suction and won't flush
    My toilet has always worked till one day. My roommate went to the bathroom and peed and the toilet wouldn't flush properly. We figured that it was just because the apartments are old and not kept up as well as they should be, and that everything would work again shortly. I went hours later and also peed, and it still won't suck anything down. It's like when the toilet is clogged, and the bowl just keeps filling with water, but we have to plunge every time we use it, no matter what we do. The leasing office is closed on weekends so now we're stuck with it like this till Monday. This is also our only toilet... any advice? Sometimes even after we plunge the water won't go down. Anything you could suggest would be helpful. I thought maybe buying a better plunger would help, or drain cleaner but if we can't get our waste down by flushing I don't know how the cleaner would be effective.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 03:07 PM

It sounds like your toilet is clogged and needs to be uncloged by using a toilet closet auger, also open the link below and watch the clip will show how to unclog the toilet, Good luck.

John

How to Unclog a Toilet Fixture
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 22, 2009, 04:57 PM
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply.. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No suction in toilet flushing [ 3 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet in the back bathroom it a lot of times will just swirl around and not finish the whole flushing process. It may take 3,4 5 times to get a good flush. And nothing really has to be in the toilet you can just flush clean water and it will just swirl and then just quit.

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

First Flush of Toilet does NOT work right BUT second flush works great? [ 4 Answers ]

We have 2 toilets and both have the same problem. The first flush does NOT work right and will NOT flush completely, water rises and then goes back down. The second flash works GREAT? We have plunged and clean out all blow or jet holes NOthiNG is plugged? Short of double water bills and the...

Toilet suction [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 toilets that when you flush them paper comes back up. It seems there is not enough suction. I have used drain cleaner and I do not have a septic tank. Thanks for you advice.

Toilet suction [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet seems to have low suction when flushed. What can remedy this?

View more questions Search