Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryno61 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Water line hook up
    What type of copper coil should I purchase for a water line hokk up from the street to my house. I need a 1" 60 ft coil. When I searched online for a coil different type copper rating came up. As in Type K or Type L?

What is the correct type copper coil I need for drinking water from the street to the house for a new hook-up
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2009, 07:34 AM

Type K is heavy duty and my recommendation for buried supply to a home. Type L is lighter but can be used, just not by me and never use type M for under ground supply. Type M is too light but within the home it is frequently used for distribution.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 07:34 AM

Type K

copper pipe
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 07:40 AM

Hello Ryno61
    K, having the heaviest walls, typically used for underground burial.
    L, used for most purposes.
    M, with the lightest walls, used for drainage and other low-pressure applications. (Some plumbing codes do not permit M.)
    To answer your question use K, Good Luck.

John
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Sorry Bob,

We were typing at the same time, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2009, 07:44 AM

Not a problem and I agree M is for drains and low pressure apps. My last line was misleading.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 4, 2009, 09:04 AM

Ryno61: You received good advices from our Experts in above posts. However, you are not saying where you are... so I will also add my advice to complete the picture :

Depending on where you are located, you could use type "L" ( blue copper ) or "K" ( green copper ) for your water main.

In So.California, we are allowed to use type " L" copper for underground installations. There is only one part of town in our area (City of Industry) that requires type "K" for all plumbing lines - no matter if they are under ground or above ground.

We are allowed to use both coiled copper (soft copper) or rigid pipe. We are also allowed to solder under ground but not under slab.

Interestingly, type "M" (red copper ) is still allowed here in above ground installation. But I must admit I don't remember last time we used it for pressurized water. We mostly use it for DWV application.

To answer you question: use type "K" copper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waterline from structure to main line hook-up [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My question is in regard to waterline from existing structure to main line hook-up. We have a triple wide mobile home being installed on our property. It has copperline underneath and can I use copperline to hook it up to the main water line. Or should I use CPVC. When the lines come out...

Utilizing a clothes washer line for an icemaker water line [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! A few years ago, I moved my washer/dryer from an inside washer/dryer inset located in my kitchen into the garage. I turned this area into a pantry and left both the hot and cold water valves protruding from the wall, as well as the 220 for the electric dryer. I'm tearing out the...

How do I hook up the drain line on a shower in a finished basement? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm installing a shower while finishing my basement. The framing is 61" wide. I've got room for 32" to the back wall. The drain line is not centered and is about 5" from the center of the shower area. How do I hook into the drain line without having a custom shower pan made since the drain is not...

How to hook up drain line [ 1 Answers ]

Im trying to hook up a drain line from the inside unit on my goodman heat pump and don't know where to start. My installer has been hurt and is in hosp for long time. PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search