Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mary Ann Survan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 05:07 AM
    How do you insulate a cathedral ceiling with no attic?
    How do you insulate a cathedral ceiling with no attic?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 05:27 AM

There is always a space between the ceiling and the roof. Sometimes you can cut a hole in the top of a closet and get into the attic, but it can be difficult because the clearance may not be enough for a human body to get through.

The usual way to insulate this type of attic is to do it when replacing the roof. The sheathing that goes beneath the shingles is removed and insulation is blown in or rolled in.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 06:21 AM

Hi Mary Ann

Is the house finished inside and out?

Blown in insulation can be put in by opening top of roof. The problem with blown insulation is that over time it settles and will leave a void at top.

Foam insulation would be another way to go. This does not settle.

This is not a DIY project.

If unfinished inside can use bat insulation with ladders or scaffolding.

Good luck

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 07:45 AM

It really depends on how the roof was built. I have worked on maybe log cabins where the inside roof was the underside of the exterior decking. Not a good insulation but years ago fuel wasn't that expensive so corners were cut. You need to tell us the thickness and makeup of each layer of the roof. In the extreme situation I just described we glued 2" rigid foam to the ceiling and then covered that with tongue and grove carsiding.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 08:24 AM

Spray foam is the best for R value and no voids for moisture to hide in.
    fishingbuddy55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 06:48 AM
    roof consist of 2x6 rafters with 2x4 slats and a tin roof
    SpringtimeHomes Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Jul 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
    This can be tricky especially if your goals include saving on energy costs. Foam board sheathing is your best bet as it will slow the energy flow through the rafters which can be quite significant.

Check out this article on Creating a conditioned attic and be sure to check out the link insulating cathedral ceilings
    jefferson17 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2012, 10:08 PM
    +1 on foam board sheathing. Install between roof joists, foil facing heated area. 2" thick.
    cyrilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2013, 11:38 AM
    Hello - I too have a 60 year plus cottage A Frame two story so it is basically the walls and roof equivalent that I need to insulate with 2 inch rigid foam.
    The exterior roof has been reroofed with felt and asphalt certainteed lifetime shingles. On the inside, we'd like to use 2 inch rigid foam as you described.
    The exposed beams are now 5 1/2 inches. What type of glue did you use to hold the foam? It would appear that you did not leave air pocket since you glued directly to the under side of the exterior plywood? How then did you nail the car siding?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to insulate a cathedral ceiling in a house [ 10 Answers ]

Please tell me how to insulate a catherdral ceiling

Cathedral ceilng-have to ventilate and insulate? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi--A friend of mine and I are converting a building into a studio type cottage-one room-16 ft X20 ft. in North Florida=In winter temp veries from 55 to 75 during the day to 25 to 55 at night during summer hot and humid day and night. I'm wondering if there is any way I can leave the ceiling open...

How to insulate a converted attic space part2? [ 2 Answers ]

Area was existing when I bought it. I added some supplies and a return for the HVAC. Ok in the winter... too hot in summer. I found the rafters on the one side had no insulation(above the drywall) and the other had. The short section in the middle also had none. The rafters go down to the...

How do I insulate and vapour barrier cathedral ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Haw to inulate and vapour barrier a cathedral ceiling

How to insulate a converted attic living space? [ 2 Answers ]

Area was existing when I bought it. I added some supplies and a return for the HVAC. Ok in the winter... too hot in summer. I found the rafters on the one side had no insulation(above the drywall) and the other had. The short section in the middle also had none. The rafters go down to the...

View more questions Search