Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejc_1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Shower Leak
    CAn anyone help with a shower leak. I think it is the seal around the drain. Here is a link to the drain:

http://images18.fotki.com/v345/photo...ICT0030-vi.jpg

How is this removed to replace the seal?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2006, 01:46 PM
    If the floor gives a bit when you step on it then chances are the seal's been ruptured under the lip of the drain. A typical glue on drain looks like this, (see image) and is secured by a nut on the bottom. However your drain looks like it might be a replacement similar to a WingTite drain that doesn't glue on but uses a "O" ring to seal the drain to the traps raiser. I'm not familiar with the drain you pictured but try this. Take a screwdriver and place it in one of the notches in the drain body. Now take a hammer and see if the notch can be tapped and moved counterclockwise. If you can get the notched part to ture then you may be able to pull the drain out and reset it with a new seal.
    Let me know what yiou find. Good luck, Tom

Sep 9, 2006, 02:04 PM
    I tried that and it did not move. Its about 8 years old, could it just be stubborn?

Yes you are right, we feel bounce or movement in the pan.

Sep 9, 2006, 02:37 PM
    OK I got it out and it twist off. Now is the gasket a part of the upper lip of the drain on the pan? Or are they 2 pieces and do they both come out?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2006, 02:39 PM
    OK, new plan of attack! Get a tube of silicon jell and tonight see if you can force some all the way around under the lip of the drain. Let it set up overnight and see if you still have a leak in the morning. The only other way would be to open up the ceiling,(if this's a upstairs shower) and go in from the bottom. Regards, om

Sep 9, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Here's what I have now, I have unscrewed the inner ring with the notches and removed the seal. Once doing that, the area between the sewer drain and the drain attached to the pan filled with stinky water.

My question now is: is the drain that is still intack with the pan, screwed on from the bottom similar to your picture?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ejc_1
    Heres what I have now, I have unscrewed the inner ring with the notches and removed the seal. Once doing that, the area between the sewer drain and the drain attached to the pan filled with stinky water.

My question now is: is the drain that is still intack with the pan, screwed on from the bottom similar to your picture?
    We both posted at the same time. Disregard my last post. Do not pull up the drain body. It's not secured with a nut. Sponge out the excess water and run a ring of plumbers putty or silicon jell around the bottom of the lip for a new seal and reinstall the piece you took out back the way it was. Good luck, Tom

Sep 9, 2006, 04:08 PM
    OK, can a new seal not be purchased?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ejc_1
    OK, can a new seal not be purchased?
    No, you form the seal by making a small rope of plumbers putty or silicon Jell under the lip. Press down hard and give it a little twist to seat it and then reassemble the drain. Test by stopping off the drain and filling the base with a inch of water. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Leak [ 6 Answers ]

I have a leak in my shower drain. I would like to remove the drain to replace or re-seal it. I do have access underneath since it is in a ranch. It looks like there is a large ring or nut screwed on from below to tighten up the drain and compress the gasket between the drain flange and the...

Shower leak [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new 2 story house. About 3 times that we've used our shower it has leaked by water coming out of a light in my kitchen (on the 1st floor). Every time a plumber comes out and looks they cannot find a leak. I am scared because of the electrical that the water is passing...

Leak from second floor shower [ 4 Answers ]

I've seen some posts on this subject but haven't been able to find a direct answer to my question so please excuse me if this information exists here already, but... I just moved into a new home and I have a leak coming form my second floor shower - a one piece fiberglass stall. Prior to...

Shower leak [ 3 Answers ]

After 5 months in a 4 year old home, water began leaking from our family room ceiling directly below the master shower. It happened a few more times, but only after the shower had been running for about 20 minutes. I had a plumber come out to diagnose the problem and after cutting a hole in the...

2nd Story Shower Leak [ 5 Answers ]

I have a leak froma a second story shower (I think). I originally thought it was the drain, but after cutting kitchen area floor underneath the water seems to be coming from what I think is a vent. http://www.agtec.net/plumbing Does anyone have any ideas on what could be happening. Thanks...

View more questions Search