Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ineedhelpbad Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Steady leak after Moen Cartridge #109272 replaced!
    Hello all,
    Ok my problem is with the Moen single shower cartridge p/n 109272. Its on a tub only set up in my master restroom.

I replaced it yesterday because it suddenly started to leak non-stop 2 days ago. It seemed fine until the first use (daughters bath) last night when it began to leak again. I don't know if it's a bad replacement cartridge? Or maybe something else is wrong with the tubs plumbing? Can anyone help me? If I don't hear back soon I fear I may do something drastic... Time is ticking and I can only take so much "drip-drip-dripping!!!.... Ahhh!"

Thank you,
    I_need_help_bad
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 11:42 AM

Hello Indeedhelpbad,

The P/N 109272 doesn't sound like Moen Cartridge, Moen Cartridges are normally 4 digit like1222/1224/1225 1248, if you think this is the correct cartridge do this shut off the water to the tub, remove the cartridge turn on the water for a few seconds to flush out all the debris from the faucet, clean the cartridge and use some silicone grease lubricate the O rings install and see if it is fixed, and also did you know that all Moen products have life time warranty if you call them will send you a knew cartridge with no cost to you, if you can post the Model number of you faucet will great help, good luck,

John

Apr 3, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post

The P/N 109272 doesn't sound like Moen Cartridge, Moen Cartridges are normally 4 digit like1222/1224/1225 1248, if you think this is the correct cartridge ....John
    Thanks for the quick response, I gave the number that was on the old cartridge. Its says Moen on one side (nearest stem) and other side has #109292. However, on the plastic sides (that line with the hot/cold water pipes) it has 109213 Moen 74 and 109213 Moen 84 on either side.

I have another question which I thought of after I had posted. The instructions made it sound like I should NOT remove the cartridge after replacing it. Will me removing it damage it? I don't have a Moen dealer but use Home Depot for the part. I don't have the packaging or receipt will they replace it?

I will try to turn on the water with no cartige? (Is that OK? It seems water will flow uncontroled into the wall?)

Thank you again
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 12:32 PM

I am not sure about your Home depot in my area they are nice, when we return parts with out a receipt they will give us the credit not cash, it would not hurt if you try it and tell them that it was leaking had to remove it.

If you can leave with the leaks for a few days call Moen at 800-882-0116 explain your problem but don't tell them that you replaced with another cartridge they will send you the correct part with no charges, they will ask you for the model number or they will ask question about the faucet type, Moen Customer service people are very nice and help full.

Turning on the water with out the cartridge sure it will leak into the wall, you should be careful and ready for it ask for help one person at the faucet with a towel on it and one person at the shut off valve it should be a quick open and close just to flush the dirt out, let me know if you need and further help, good luck.

John

Apr 3, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Thank you John,

I called the Depot and they told me it would be no problem to replace it. I actually flushed the pipes after romoving the cartridge before you replied and when I turned it back on it seemed to work but still leaks periodically. I hope the silicone gel will stop that.

I also called Moen and am in line (2hr call back) to speak with a customer rep. Thanks for that helpful tip.

I will end up (for now) replacing the cartridge with the exchange and using silicone gel on the "O" rings too. When the replacement Moen part comes I will have back up if anything else goes wrong. I feel I am becoming an expert at this particular job.

I appreciate all your help,

Art
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 01:33 PM

Hello Art,

Thanks for the update, let us know what the out come will be, Good Luck.

John

Apr 5, 2009, 06:43 PM

Hello John,

Moen did call back around the time promised (2 hours) and didn't give me any hassle about the part. They gave me an option to upgrade the shipping or just let them send it regular mail. I opted for that since I had a back up plan anyway.

The Home Depot return was a snap and they gave cash since I had a receipt. Which I used all of including more to buy the Moen part anyway. I know I had one coming but I can't stand the "dripping" so I gave in to convenience.

Anyway, the Moen part works PERFECTLY! Not a drip in 2 full days and 1 use already. I really want to thank you for quickly responding to my cry for help and letting me in on the Moen replacement info.

Greatfull

-Art
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 07:16 PM

Hello Art,

Thanks for the update, it is our pleasure to help people like you and am glad your problem is resolved, yes as I said Moen customer people are very help full.
    Now you know where to go if you have any problem with plumbing, come to this site or call Moen if it is theirs product, Good luck.

Regards,
    John
    sydam3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 11:48 AM
    In case anyone ever needs to know. The 109272 number is the production number for moen. The replacement is number 1222 in a carton and 1222b in a white plastic bag (both the same).

Mine was leaking when we moved into our new house. After taking it out and calling Moen for a replacement (which will take 2 weeks to come) I ended up just cleaning up the original one and greased it up before installing (making sure the rubber pieces did not jam up or slide around) and now it does not leak at all.

I figure the guys who built the house probably did not use any grease because one of the rubber slats looked a little folded from being kinked up in there.
    Mkerekes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2013, 05:39 PM
    I have fallowed the steps listed here but I still have a steady drip directly after replacement. I have tried replacing the cartridge twice with the same results. Any other ideas before I have to replace the unit?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 21, 2013, 08:55 PM
    I have tried replacing the cartridge twice
    Are you obtaining replacement cartridges from Moen or are you purchasing them.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
    Please respond to Hkstorud question, also I will suggest to remove the cartridge and turn on the water to flush out any debris from the faucet, install the cartridge and try, goodluck.

John
    NoCompromise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2015, 08:50 PM
    I know this is an old post, but maybe it will help someone.

I was having the same issue. After removing it for the third time to return it. I was staring at it for while and realized that the end where the handle attaches to (brass end) was pushed it a little leaving a gap in the holes that are covered by the Rubbers on the sides. I just pushed the other end back in (pushed the cartridge back in place) and it was good to go. Make sure u use the plastic installation tool that is provided so u don't inadvertently push it out of place by pushing in on the brass end. No more drip!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced moen cartridge, still leaks [ 3 Answers ]

Hi-- I replaced the moen cartridge, single lever, kitchen. The first time it started leaking after a few days. I took it out, flushed out the water line, reinstalled and now leaks as soon as I turn the water on. I looked inside the tube (?) and saw some corrosion. Could that be the problem?...

Moen cartridge- bad leak from shower head [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Moen in my shower and a spout with a diverter. When I run the water with the diverter open, there is still a lot of water coming from the shower head. The only thing I can think of is that the water pressure is so strong that the water just gradually builds up and comes out of the head.?...

Moen Cartridge really stuck [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to replace the cartridge in my shower. I have the water turned off, everything disassembled (including u shaped clip), I have the T shaped cartridge tool. I was able to get the inside out of the brass housing but I cannot get the brass housing to move no matter what. The T shaped...

How to stop leak in Moen single lever shower faucet by changing cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

How do you pull the cartridge out to change it?

Moen cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

I changed my one handle shower cartridge by moen. This was not easy and had to break it apart to remove. I put a new one in and there was no pressure. I changed this one and got very little improvement. I had great pressure before it was just leaking any ideas??

View more questions Search