Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Sep 5, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Knocking sound...
    After I had our A/C fixed, not only did our house got colder but I have been hearing this knocking sound coming from that "place" (sorry I do not know what to call it) where we we put the A/C filter in. It sounded like somebody is knocking on a cardboard box. What do you think that is? I just can't stand that one knock per second sound. Help.. :confused:
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 6, 2006, 08:27 AM
    You didn't mentioned what was "fixed" - and can't really accurately name where the knocking is coming from. This could be anything and I couldn't recommend you trying to find it yourself. Since this started after a service call, you should call the technician back out. If it's something he caused, there should be no charge. Until then, turn your TV up loud (only kidding).

Sep 6, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Hi jgj6331,
    I believe he said he changed the "capacitor" and I saw him fix that thing on the outside wall of the house that looked like a covered outlet (looks like a black box). Turning the volume of the TV works, but husband is complaining (maybe he needs to be replaced too... ha-ha). I really appreciate for your help. :)

Sep 6, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Don't replace your husband just yet. The thing on the outside wall of the house is probably the power disconnect and likely has nothing to do with the knocking. If the capacitor he changed was inside the house in the air handler (unit with the inside blower - possibly where your filters are) - it could be a loose wire, debris, dead cat, etc. flopping around in there hitting the fan. Again, get the technician back to check it as it could lead too much bigger problems later.

Sep 6, 2006, 02:31 PM
    I guess this is my husband's lucky day. But where is my cat? Thanks for your help. I just talked to the A/C technician, and he will be here in a couple of hours, so that should be about 7200 knocks. Ha-ha

Sep 8, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Sooooo, What's the verdict? The suspense is killing me. (BTW, you ever find your cat?).

Sep 19, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Hey jgj6331,
    I bet you would die laughing at the source of the sound, I didn't though. It was the water dripping from the A/C unit inside my house. That kind of explain the wet garage floor. That hose thing was clogged and I was told to put 1/2 cup bleach then 1 cup hot water monthly. Who knew? Sorry that it took me so long to respond, I got so busy at work and school. Take care..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knocking in furnace when AC turns off [ 1 Answers ]

My AC is cooling OK, after I spent $250 last week having a new blower motor put in the furnace unit, but it continues to make a "knocking" sounds for a minute or two after the fan shuts off. It's so loud it wakes me up, which is why I'm posting at 5:20 A.M.; I also noticed that the line is icing up.

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

NO SOUND after sound card install [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new on here I have a HP tower.. just installed a beefed up sound card in it and it doesn't work.. made sure all connection are good.. and installed the program.. now it won't work at all.. please help me someone?

View more questions Search