Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CatherinenDaniel Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Sep 1, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Body Building affect contraception?
    Hi to all you beautiful women,

I'm not sure whether any of you ladies would be able to answer my question, but I have noted that many of you seem rather intelligent, so I shall ask away!

My goregous man is a body builder, and I am wondering if it could affect contraception. Daniel does not take any anabolic steroids, he is purely natural. He takes natural testosterone boosters, creatine, protein powders, hydroxy cuts etc. as well as the daily multi (I know... our pantery looks like a pharmacy!). Daniel is certain that it wouldn't have any affect on our efforts to conceive. We have however been 'trying' for five months, and six months before that, I went on a big health kick in an attempt to prep mybody for pregnancy (Daniel is always eating well and has really healthy principles). We have visited our family GP, he didn't feel we had been trying long enough to start investigating underlying issues, he thinks maybe we need to relax a little as this can be a commen issue with couples trying to conceive. We feel we are relaxed, enjoying each other and just taking it as it comes... it's an amazing experience. But now, I am starting to have my suspicions about whether all these supplements are taking a toll on our planned pregnancy..

We welcome any comments you might have, and look forward to hearing from all of you. I hope you all are having a wonderful day, Catherine and Dani.;)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 1, 2006, 11:50 AM
    If those are the only things he is taking, then it should not affect contraception. And your doctor is right, slow down relax and enjoy each other.

On the other hand, I am curious if Daniel gets a Liver Panel and Kidney Panel done at his doctors. All of these supplements can lead to organ damage if used in excess for over long periods. He should ask the doctor if this is really the healthy way to go. I know of several people who used the protein powders, etc, and now, years later have developed Diabetes Type II.

But as far as conception, this should not be harmful.

Sep 1, 2006, 07:01 PM
    Thank you so much for you reply! That is interesting about the diabetes.. because I myself have been taking protein, creatine and nitrix.. as well as a selected other few. But it has been over a year since I have taken any of these supplements, although I do intend on going back on them once I have settled into motherhood and am able to spare some time for myself. As for Daniel, that is really good advice regarding the Liver and Kidney Panels, but I find it so hard to get him to go to the doctors when it comes to himself. Maybe he is just going to bite the bullet and go! And I am relieved to know that the supplements aren't affecting our chance to conceive.. So we will just be patient and try and relax a little more.

Once again Thank You.
    Expert

Sep 1, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Yes, be patient about conceiving.

But remember the supplements can affect you also. We can get most protiens and vitamins from food.

Diabetes is a life lon illness that can affect you also if you take these supplements. There is no "magic" pill to make it better or get rid of it.

DO NOT GO ON THIS DIET WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF YOUR DOCTOR.

Too much protein is almost as bad as not enough. You can get the protein you need through diet alone. It is healthier to research a healthy diet rather than putting these "supplements" in your body!

Sep 2, 2006, 01:42 AM
    Yes I have Diabetes in my family. I do understand that it is possible to receive enough protein through diet, but my main reason for taking all these extra supplements is for muscle building. But worry not, all that is pushed to the back burner until we have achieved what we dream for in a family.. =)
    Expert

Sep 2, 2006, 08:54 AM
    Just remember after you achieve your dream and you are ready to go back on the supplements you are rushing yourself into diabetes by using these supplements.

Body building can be achieved naturally also, and is better for you in the long run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure process and affect on credit [ 1 Answers ]

I am current on my mortgage payments however, my supportive income has been lost due to our separation. We were not married and his name was not on my home loan. I have attempted to sell the house in the past with no luck. I'm raising my children alone and it will be a true struggle to make the...

How would 1099 affect a Canadian Resident [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I just got a job offer by an American company and they would want me to go with 1099, but I will be working in Canada specifically Ontario. So my question is, how does this affect me or my income? Can someone help me better understand how 1099 works for a Canadian Resident employed by a US firm...

What does a clogged filter affect? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, It is common knowledge that as a filter (whether undersink or whole-house) gets closer to replacement time, the water flow is adversely affected. What I would like to know is, what exactly is the clogged filter affecting: the PRESSURE (i.e. if there would be a booster pump on the outlet...

Emergency COntraception, please HELP [ 8 Answers ]

Um, hi... :( I'm new to using contraception pills. I went to the local drug store and asked for emergency contraception pills. I know am supposed to take them within 5 days of sex... its been 2 days as yet. But these are 28 pills in this golden pack, Microgynon ED andthey are Birth control pills...

View more questions Search