Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichelleD Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Painting on a cement wall
    I'm an artist with a job to do a painting on an exterior cement wall and I want to make sure I use the right paint. It was previously painted and is in decent shape. I could use cement paint, but it doesn't come in all the colors I need. Can I use cement paint for the first coat, and then exterior latex for the painting itself? Is there a clear protective coat available?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Yes, yes and yes.

Give yourself a good couple coats of a top quality masonry paint as a base.
    Lightly sand the base coat then use a top quality exterior latex (or better yet, oil) for your art.

There are a variety of clearcoats that I've seen at Sherwin Williams, PPG, etc but have never used any of them. I don't see why polyurethane wouldn't work too... but be sure to ask a professional first (or hang here a few to see if someone else pipes in with experience on clearcoating over paint).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Spill on cement [ 4 Answers ]

How do I clean up an oil spill on the driving pad at my condo.

Grout vs cement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm tiling the floor of my front entryway/vestibule, and in the lay-out I have designed, have a 2" tile border with a 1/2 inch space on either side running around the perimeter of the 4' square space (larger 6" tiles are fill the centre of the space with 1/4" spacers). I wanted to know...

Help me put bathroom on cement slab [ 6 Answers ]

I have a cement floor and I need (have to ) to put a bathroom on it . I have been told I can build a platform and put pluming under it is it possible . I live in country so have septic tank. Thank anyone for their input it will be much appriciated.:)

Sloping Cement Patio [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 14 x16 foot 9" thick cement patio with tiles on it. I want to make it into a sunroom. Right now the floor is sloped away from the house and the difference from the house to the edge of the patio is at least 3 1/2 inches sloped downward for drainage. I looked into leveling compound but...

Now What--PVC cement on ABS [ 1 Answers ]

Used PVC cement on black (ABS?) pipe on a trailer while gluing in a Drain Master flange. Cement is P-8 Nutone PVC Cement (ASTM D-2564). Joint looked good put didn't stress it. Will it hold? If not, what now? (just another example of gaining 'experience' by doing stupid things--great fun...

View more questions Search