Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zmanWV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Question Regarding Corner Shower Leak
    Hello,

This is our first house and plumbing is not my specialty. Please be kind...
    :)

We have a corner/stall shower. Fiberglass with glass door. The bathroom was newly remodeled and the shower is about 2-3 years old. Ever since we moved in we have had a problem with the shower floor leaking.

After about 15 minutes of running the shower a small 0.5" wet spot appears on the grout on the outside of the shower on the floor. The longer the water runs, the farther the water will go. We initially found the leak because the carpet in the closet was wet. The water slowly progressed toward the closet.

In the garage looking up at the shower drain and floor shows a little water damage on the floor boards, but nothing terrible.

No drips or water are apparent by looking at the drain. Where is the water leaking from and where is it going?

I applied silicon calk around and inside the drain. No luck. I also calked around the edges of the shower and the glass doors. No luck.

What should I do next? Remove the drain?

I have no idea how showers are installed. Is there a pan underneath that could be leaking?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2006, 08:08 AM
    Manufactured shower bases have no pans underneith. Are there any cracks in the floor?
    Let's see if we can localize and pinpoint the leak. Does the floor give a bit when you step on it?
    Remove the strainer, put the screws in the soap dish where they won't fall down the drain.
    Now seal off the drain with a stopper, rags or blow up a balloon and tie it off. Fill the shower base with a inch or so of water. Now monitor the leak.
    If leaks out the putty or silicon jel seal has ruptured onder the lip of the drain. If not the leak will be found in the trap or drain line. Let me know. Regards, Tom
    mike1026 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Hi don't mean to hijack this thread, but my problem is exactly as described by Zman. I followed your directions and found that mine is leaking around the lip of the drain. The shower floor does give a little when stepped into. The drain is plastic. Do I calke around and under the lip of the drain or is there more to it than that? Great site, by the way!! Thanks in advance for your guidance...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Hey Mike,

The reason you have a leak on the lip of the drainc is because the installer failed to bed the shower floor. If the shower floor hasn't been bedded properly the floor will give a bit as weight is put upon it. Eventually this will rupture the putty seal under the lip. Can you get under the shower floor to bed it and reseal the drain if I instruct you on how to do it? If you can't then take silicon jel and force it under the lip and let it set up before using the shower. Good luck, Tom
    mike1026 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I don't believe I can get under the shower. On ground floor, limited crawl space. House is 15 years old, we have been here for 5. I will try silicone jel. I believe I can get it under the lip. Give me a couple of days, I will post my results. Again, thanks for your help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Leak [ 8 Answers ]

CAn anyone help with a shower leak. I think it is the seal around the drain. Here is a link to the drain: http://images18.fotki.com/v345/photos/7/734253/4011774/PICT0030-vi.jpg How is this removed to replace the seal?

Shower leak [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new 2 story house. About 3 times that we've used our shower it has leaked by water coming out of a light in my kitchen (on the 1st floor). Every time a plumber comes out and looks they cannot find a leak. I am scared because of the electrical that the water is passing...

Shower stall pools water in one corner [ 4 Answers ]

My house is 15 years old and built on a slab. The shower stall is an enclosed corner unit made of fiberglass (I think all one unit) enclosed with glass. The slope of the floor of the stall has always allowed water to pool in the corner instead of flowing easily down the drain located in the...

Shower leak [ 3 Answers ]

After 5 months in a 4 year old home, water began leaking from our family room ceiling directly below the master shower. It happened a few more times, but only after the shower had been running for about 20 minutes. I had a plumber come out to diagnose the problem and after cutting a hole in the...

Corner shower leak [ 1 Answers ]

We have a corner shower that is leaking but not from the drain or the pipes. Blocked the shower head and nothing leaked the drain appeared OK as the leak found it's way to a hole were a wire was ran. This is a 3 sides and a bottom base. Any ideas on what or were the leak could be coming from.

View more questions Search