Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2009, 05:10 AM
    Backing for bathtub
    Around the bathtub there is a large space. Caulking will fall right through.
    The space is about 1 1/2 wide. I need some kind of backing first before I
    Apply the caulking. Any ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 07:36 PM

Are you saying that the tub is 1 1/2" away from the wall? Is this a new tub or a new wall?
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474 View Post
    around the bathtub there is a large space. caulking will fall right through.
    the space is about 1 1/2 wide. I need some kind of backing first before I
    apply the caulking. any ideas?
    this is an old tub. There is a gap
    In someplaces between the tub and the wall.
    corrillo Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 23, 2009, 08:04 PM

They sell a product called backing rod it is like foam you can find it in home depot you out that in the caulk but I would try to look ender tub from below if possible and see why you are getting large gaps goo liuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back to back bathtub and shower backing-up in to each other [ 1 Answers ]

The house is a 1950's split level. I have a tub and shower that are back to back and when you run one, it backs-up in to the other. I have opened up the bathtub stopper and removed a lot of hair and grease using an auger. I have had a little trouble putting the bathtub stopper back in place where...

Downstairs bathtub fills when draining upstairs bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

OK, my old house (1959) with all new plumbing (2008) is having some problems already, when using the upstairs bathtub for the first time, I was shocked when I noticed that my small downstairs bathtub was full of dirty water. And the toilet beside the small downstairs bathtub would only drain slowly...

Backing up in the toilet and bathtub [ 4 Answers ]

We live in a two story town home. We've lived there for two and 1/2 years now and we bought it as new construction. In that time we've had the same reoccurring problem about once every two to three months. Just to give you a lay of the land, we have two full baths plus the washer and dryer...

Bathtub backing up into Laundry Tubs [ 3 Answers ]

My shower drain was running slow, so after pouring liquid plumber down it to get it moving again, I went downstairs and noticed the laundry tub was backed up with murky brown water on both sides (it's divided) and I could smell the liquid plumber in it. The tub for some reason backed up into the...

Water backing up into Toilets and bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: We have 2 bathrooms in our house... 1 w/ shower and toilet and 1w/ tub and toilet. Today the water backed up in both toilets and in the tub but not in the shower. I heard a 'gurgling' noise and then water started backing up. This has happened once before about 5 months ago then it...

View more questions Search