Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clfiul Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Do I replace heater
    I just was told that the circuit board and heat exchange on my 9 year old Goodman 1 stage furnace were shot. The heater went off several days ago and goes on for an hour or two once or twice a day but will not bring the house temperature over 60 degrees.

Repair man said he thought we shoud replace it for $5323 installed. This includes a Goodman/Amana unit 70,000BTU, 95% Efficient two stage and a 4 Ton blower.

The warranty is 10 years parts and labor and lifetime on the heat exchange. Repair would be $2000 or so. What do you think.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Feb 17, 2009, 12:52 PM

What's the AFUE of your current system, how long do you plan to stay in the house, does that quote include a VS blower, and have you gotten any other quotes for different make/models/AFUEs?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 06:12 PM
    $2000.00? For an in-warranty repair? Are you serious? Sorry, but it sounds to me like someone is trying to steer you towards replacement of the unit. If your existing unit is only 9 years old, the h/x is still in warranty (10 years on GMP, at least 20 on GMPN). The manufacturer will impose a warranty handling charge of $40-$50, and the circuit board (wholesale) is less than $100. Maybe it's just me, but heat exchanger replacement is just not that big a deal anymore. Lately, I've been doing 2-3 per week, averaging about 3 hours per job. I would LOVE to make the kind of profit your contractor is proposing. If I were you, I would seek other estimates.

Feb 17, 2009, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
    What's the AFUE of your current system, how long do you plan to stay in the house, does that quote include a VS blower, and have you gotten any other quotes for different make/models/AFUEs?
    I thi nk it is 80%. It does include a 4 ton blower. I contacted another company that came out and said there was some dust on the sensor, which they cleaned and system is now working. However, they said if they replaced the heat exchange they would charge $4300 just for that part and work.

I then cvalled the owner of the first company who told me that if they had misdiagnosed the problem they would provide a new heater without charge. I am totally confused.

Feb 17, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    $2000.00? For an in-warranty repair? Are you serious? Sorry, but it sounds to me like someone is trying to steer you towards replacement of the unit. If your existing unit is only 9 years old, the h/x is still in warranty (10 years on GMP, at least 20 on GMPN). The manufacturer will impose a warranty handling charge of $40-$50, and the circuit board (wholesale) is less than $100. Maybe it's just me, but heat exchanger replacement is just not that big a deal anymore. Lately, I've been doing 2-3 per week, averaging about 3 hours per job. I would LOVE to make the kind of profit your contractor is proposing. If I were you, I would seek other estimates.
    As I mentioned to another responder, because I was suspicious, I called another company to come in and they told me that that did not see either problem. However, they said if there was a problem with the heat exchange that the replacement would be $4300. I then called back the first company and spoke with the owner. The owner was very disturbed about the difference in diagnosis and told me it was their company's (One Hour Heat and Air)policy to replace the system free if they misdiagnosed the problem. The second company who charge so much more to do work they said they saw no need for, told me the problem was caused by a dirty sensor, which he cleaned off and the heater now works.

I am uncomfortable with the free heater offer... call me suspicious. Am now totally confused. But clearly, the prices in northern California are more than in your area.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 04:26 AM
    Suspicious, intuitive... it's a fine line. Remember this site the next time your system experiences a problem.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Feb 18, 2009, 06:31 AM

Call back the first contractor and tell them you're concerned about their diagnosis. Ask for details on what they did to check and diagnose this problem. Then call your second contractor and ask the same question.

Let us know what you find. You want to be 100% certain you don't have a bad HX as that can be a dangerous situation

KC13 is correct. Your HX should be under warranty. And yes, each locales prices vary, sometimes greatly.

Feb 18, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
    Call back the first contractor and tell them you're concerned about their diagnosis. Ask for details on what they did to check and diagnose this problem. Then call your second contractor and ask the same question.

Let us know what you find. You want to be 100% certain you don't have a bad HX as that can be a dangerous situation

KC13 is correct. Your HX should be under warranty. And yes, each locales prices vary, sometimes greatly.
    Thanks for your input. I have made several calls to the people who initially installed the unit for the developer, but they don't seem to remember to call me back. THe heater has now been working perfectly for two days since the second company cleaned the sensor. I have to leave town for a month and will turn unit off. If when I return we have any more problems I will call the installer of the original unit and insist they inspect it, but who knows how honest they are. I guess this is an area where a couple hundred dollars spent on multiple opinions is safer than believing someone who suggests a new unit after 8 1/2 years.

Thank you all for your help.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Are you confident that you won't have problems with frozen plumbing by turning the system off? If you leave the heat on at a low setpoint (55-60), the unit will run minimally and the safety controls will shut down the unit in the event of a serious malfunction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace wick in a dynaflo rmc-55-r7 kerosene heater [ 1 Answers ]

How to replace wick in a dynaflo rmc-55-r7 kerosene heater

Need to replace an old york heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a york 2 stage heater model 36c03 that needs to be replaced. It is emitting carbon monoxide. I can't find anything online even similar to what I have and I'd like an idea of the cost. My York was installed in 1979. Any ideas on what I should look for?

Must replace vent seals on gas all heater [ 1 Answers ]

Vent not properly venting on gas all heater

OLD Carrier heater. Replace of fix? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I have a Carrier 58G01002A gas furnace in the basement. PG&E came out and said that the Limit Switch is out and needs replacing. A friend was by and said some of the ducting was patched with an asbestos material. Should I fix the limit switch and ducting and continue using the...

Replace LV1 with LV2 thermostat on baseboard heater [ 1 Answers ]

Ok here is my question I bought my house about 2 months ago. The lady painted over the wall thermostat to the base board heater. When I took the Cover off to remove the paint the knobs broke(I assume do to age) and the heat was constantly on. I removed the thermostate because it was summer. I am...

View more questions Search