Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelli767 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Gas line testing
    What are the basic requirements for testing propane gas lines. What pressure do you have to use and for how long? I have a new propane fireplace. The propane company will not deliver because they say there is a leak, but the installers say they tested the system and show no leaks. Each side has been out two times (at my expense with the propane company). The propane company uses some sort of pressure gauge and they are detecting a leak. The installation company uses a smaller gauge and also a "sniffer" and detects no leak. I am about to give up and have a third company come in (at my expense) and go over all 100 + feel of piping inside and out of the house with at least 17 elbows. If I knew the basic requirements for testing and pressure checks, I think I might be able to force the issue with the installers. Thank you!! K
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 07:02 PM

You can take this http://www.cctexas.com/files/g33/FUEL%20GAS%20CODE.pdf

For the relevant sections and look at the sticky in the electrical section. From there you should be able to locate the National Fuel Gas Code and read it online.

As this states, the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) can make changes.

With the right electronic sniffer, you can detect extremely small propane leaks. Example: INFICON DTK706-600-G1 PROPANE GAS DETECTOR
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 09:13 PM

Your plumber uses regular 15 lbs gas gauge widely used in testing natural gas plumbing systems.. Your propane company uses Mano-gas-gauge. Mano-gas-gauge is extremely sensitive to pressure drop. Drop in pressure that shows on Mano-meter will not even register on regular gas gauge.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 11:45 PM

Pressure checking a Propane Line - HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion

Post #8, very explicit instructions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure Testing an new underground gas line [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all, I am in the process of adding a new coated 1/2" natural gas line underground to a patio area. I wanted to pressure test it before I bury it and I cannot seem to find the leak. I have a gas pressure valve from Home Crapo that goes up to 15psi. I filled the pipes up with this on and...

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Pressure testing gas line [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new LP gas line into my basement. I have the line run and have a pressure tester connected to the line. I am getting conflicting info on the pressure and time I need to test to. I found an old thread (Aug 2005) on this forum that said 10 psi for 15 minutes. I also found a City...

View more questions Search