Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plantlady095 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Hot water pressure drops at kitchen sink
    My kitchen is across the house and downstairs from the hot water heater. After the hot water runs for about half a minute and the water coming out of the tap is finally hot, the water pressure drops significantly. If I start the dishwasher, it becomes a trickle. If I rotate the handle to add more cold water into the mix, the pressure is back up to the level as before. My faucet is a Price Pfister 526-50XX with a single handle to control both temperatures. I have not witnessed a similar problem anywhere else in the house. I am guilty of not flushing sediments out of the hot water heater, too. When I have done it, I have had great difficulty closing the boiler valve and so decided that perhaps it is better not done. Where do I start to try to fix this or should I call a plumber?

Thanks,
    Plantlady095
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 01:33 AM

Hello Plantlady,

It sounds like you have debris inside the faucet on the hot side.

Close both angle valves under the sink, remove the cartridge, open both hot and cold angle valves for a second to flush sediments out, clean the cartridge and install, check if you have hot water now, if not then you need to replace the cartridge.

If you have problem with boiler S/O valve you need to fix it, replace with a new one, flush the boiler is to your advantage do it often, Thanks.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Hi all...

All sounds great John :)

Plantlady, if you are having issues with the boiler drain on the water heater then I would suggest that you purchase a female garden hose cap (see picture) at any home improvement store.

This is super easy to spin onto the boiler drain if it drips after use. Just spin it on and snug it down with a pair of pliers.

Otherwise, if you replace the shutoff as John suggested then purchase a BALL VALVE as these do not get plugged up easily and are great when it comes to flushing the tank! Here, you would purchase a 3/4" x2" brass nipple, 3/4" IPS ball valve, a 3/4" IPS x male hose fitting, the garden hose cap, and some teflon tape.

Good luck...

MARK
    Attached Images

plantlady095 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 10:19 AM

I have disassembled the faucet handle and removed the cartridge. While flushing the pipes, water dripped underneath the handle (under the sink.) Should that have happened? Also, there was significant vibration when I turned on the hot water valve. Is this to be expected?

I did have a marked improvement in the steady pressure just by turning off the water valves and turning it back on again. I am guessing that this displaced some sediment or perhaps the valves had not been turned on sufficiently in the first place. Any ideas?

Thank you for the help you have already sent!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure just in kitchen sink? [ 7 Answers ]

I just came home from the holidays and opened my garage to an exploded hot water tank. I have a shut off valve right above it, so I was able to shut down the water going into the tank without losing water to the rest of the house. The next day was putting in the new tank, and after trying to fill...

No pressure in my kitchen sink, but ONLY the hot water. [ 1 Answers ]

Good evening. There is no pressure in the hot water in my kitchen sink; everywhere else has good pressure. I have a septic, and water softener. I have already replaced the filter, and added salt. It increased pressure everywhere, but the kitchen sink, and it's only the hot water. I took off the...

Low hot water pressure in kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

We recently tapped into the hot water pipe for a basement bathroom. After doing so the hot water pressure in my single handled faucet is much lower. None of the other hot water in the house has been affected. I think the pipe we tapped into is the pipe that only supplies the kitchen sink and...

Low water pressure at kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

Someteimes, when opening the kitchen faucet, there is a "thumping" type sound in the wall and the water will only trickle out. This happens for either hot or cold water. I get the water flowing again by letting the water trickle out for a few seconds and then full water pressure returns. I...

Low Water Pressure in Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

A few months ago, out of nowhere, the kitchen sink's hot water pressure became very low. A plummer came over and all he did was totally replace the faucet; nonetheless, the problem still exist so I doubt it's the washers or simply being clogged. I don't exactly trust this plummer; he's saying it...

View more questions Search