Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lar-bob Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Pressure drops when pump kicks on
    I have an older well with a two year old pressure tank. It worked fine all summer, even watering my lawn. Lately the pressure in the house seems to drop after a few minutes of use and cannot build back up unless you turn off the faucet or shower. My switch shuts off at 56 and kicks on at 40. When it kicks on it immediately drops to 10 and will not get any higher until I shut everything off in house. The pressure in the tank after draining is 38psi.
    Any ideas.

Thanks
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 06:37 PM

Very interesting. Wish I could be there to test it. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the well is running dry. Please let me know how things work out, I'm very interested to know what the problem is. Let me sleep on this, and I will hopefully have productive dreams.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 07:32 AM

Is this pump submerged or above ground? Also, do you know where your checkvalve(s) are located?
    mikedem7 Posts: 104, Reputation: 13

Feb 1, 2009, 08:18 AM

Need more info is the new tank a bladder tank do you have a submersable pump, did you have a different style presser tank before

Feb 1, 2009, 09:04 AM
    Yes the tank is a bladder tank. The old tank was also a bladder but smaller. I do not know where the check valves are. There is no above ground pump. The pipe goes into the ground in the well pit. Just two wires going into the cap

Feb 2, 2009, 03:37 PM
    I'm having a well company come out tomorrow. They think there might be a hole in the draw pipe which is sucking air or possibly the pump going bad. I'll respond when I get the diagnosis
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks, would love to hear what the problem is .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 08:07 PM

YOu have a submerged pump so there is no draw pipe. The curious thing here is the pressure dropping so much when the pump cuts in. However, it sure sounds like the pump just has no volume to speak of, which would seem to point to pump failure. Still, it's strange that the pressure seems to hold until the pump cuts on.

Feb 4, 2009, 05:32 PM
    The pump man came and seemed to really know his stuff. He checked amps, gallons etc. only to find the hydro charger (part of the iron filter system was nearly plugged. He opened the screw on top of the charger and the water started to flow like a river. We eliminated the charger and all is fine again. Pressure has never been better. Last year we installed a new soft water system and eliminated the iron filter which means there was no need for the hydro charger. Thanks again for all your ideas.

Larry
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 04:39 PM

Glad you got it fixed. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well water pressure drops from 60 to 40 even when not in use [ 1 Answers ]

Our well water pressure seems lower than usual in shower, outside sprinkler, etc. Pump turns on at 40 and off at 60. But after pressure reaches 60 it decreases to 40 even if no faucet or other water appliance is on. Is that normal or do I have a well problem? Pressure tank air pressure looks...

Water pump kicks on and off constantly [ 2 Answers ]

My pump keeps turning off and on and well it does my toilet fills up well the pump runs but the pump shuts off again so my toilet takes 1 hour to fill up. What is the problem can u please help me?

Well pump works until 30 lb then drops to 0 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a new 6"well 160 feet deep.Pump is installed at 145 feet.Amtrol wx203 tank is charged to 28 lbs. for a 30-50 pressure switch.running kitchen faucets or lavatory faucets pump works wonderfully.Symmons temptrol shower valve with 2-1/2gpm showerhead runs fine until gauge reaches pressure cut in...

Water Pressure Drops [ 1 Answers ]

Our house is built in the year 2000. We have a well system and lately our pressure drops when we use it. For a second, water trickles down and then stops until the pressure is back again. This is happening for a few months. Do you know what is wrong with it? We have a Well-X-troll tank by Amtrol...

View more questions Search