Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fray2fl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Shower replacement question - drain
    I am replacing a tile shower with a fiberglass shower.
    The house is on a concrete slab.

I have torn out the tile shower and pan.
    I cut the original drain below the concrete slab.

My questions:
    If I install a drain before I set the shower, how do I determine the height of the drain pipe. Once the PVC drain is attached to the shower, do I glue up the drain and set the drain on the pipe while setting the shower?

Or should I

Purchase a wingtite shower drain. The PVC drain is about $10 and the wingtite drain is $65 plus shipping. If I install the wingtite drain, what are the rough in dimensions for the drain pipe? Would I just cut the drain pipe at the correct level, install the shower, then install the wingtite drain? Seems to me it might be worth the extra cost for the wingtite drain in case there were any problems in the future.

Any other drain options to consider?

Thanks in advance for your assistance
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2006, 04:34 PM
    If you've cut the trap raiser off below floor level you're not going to install any drain until you bring the raiser up to grade. As a rule the raiser sticks up out of the cement and the base and drain slips over it. After it's been primed and glued the raiser can be cut off so the strainer can be installed.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Shower Pan Replacement Question [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing an old shower pan with a fiberglass unit. I believe the old pan is acrylic. There is a large opening in the slab for the trap, approx 12" x 12". There will be no support for the part of the pan that's directly above this cutout. Is the fiberglass shower pan strong enough to not...

Replacement tub drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a replacement tub waste plug. I was in the hardware store today and they had a wall full of replacement drain parts. The bathtub in my master bath has a drain that works fine but cosmetically was pretty beat up. It's 30 year old brass, and it was not going to clean up without being...

Another basement shower drain question [ 15 Answers ]

I ripped out an existing shower in the basement due to rotted wood etc. The shower was tiled. The drain which is almost 2 inches is pure concrete (desn't have a pipe sticking out). I want to put in a pre-fab shower floor, but can not figure out how to connect the drain. Is there some piece of...

Replacement shower drain strainer [ 6 Answers ]

Our tiled in shower in the basement has a very rusty drain strainer (and rusty drain underneath it). I've looked for a replacement strainer, but none of them comes large enough to fit. The old strainer is 5 7/8 " in diameter. It has OLYMPIC stamped on it. Can I find a replacement? If not, do...

View more questions Search