Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robyn4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Old bathtub drain issue
    My bathtub drain has gone from being sluggish to taking hours to drain completely. (Luckily, I live alone!) I've used Drano. I've snaked it, and the snake is catching on what I assume used to be a part of an old drain stopper mechanism inside. Currently, there's no drain stopper in the tub. The snake catches about two feet into the drain on something that won't budge and sounds quite metallic.
    Question 1: can I attempt to remove this evil thing myself (and how)? Note: the plumbing in my bathroom is very "creative", and the back wall of the shower is merely a thin plastic sheet that can be easily removed.
    Question 2: if I call a plumber, what jargon can I drop on them to let them know I'm not some helpless female calling for help!
    Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 03:56 AM
    If the drain is accessible 2' out, where the stoppage is, then yep: disassemble it to get to where you can remove the stoppage.

If you're not handy to do this yourself, get the plumber out and simply tell them you have a stubborn blockage 2' from your drain. The plumbers heavy duty electric snake will have a better chance of pushing it to the main.
    mikrodot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 10:30 AM
    It sounds like the metallic ohbstruction might be a drum trap. Is there a round plate on the floor near the tub? If so, there is a drum trap under there. Your clog might be in thje trap or further down the line. The snake won't fish through the trap, but you can get down the line if necessary once it's open.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 26, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Hi Robyn,

For his first post in AMHD mikrodot impressed the hell right out of me. He put his finger directly on a drum trap as the cause of the snake hanging up. There aren't too many of us oldtimers left that remember installing drum traps in bathtubs anymore. I have put up a image of a typical drum trap installation in case your plumber isn't familiar with them, (see below).
    Notice the top cover screws on and removing it will give him a clear shot with the snake. If the cover can't be seen then it's hidden under vinyl or tile floor covering or under the floor tucked away up in the floor joists and must be uncovered.
    Afterwards, and this you can do yourself, flush the tub drain out with two large pans of boiling water. This will loosen any grease and hair that's left and flush it out into the main. As to question one, you can not remove the drum trap and as for question two, if he's a young plumber you might just know more about drum traps now then he does. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub drain lever help [ 8 Answers ]

undefined I need some advice on how to replace a bathtub drain lever. The tub doesn't drain unless you hold the lever in a certain position. I unscrewed the cover on the lever and started to pull out the guts - but thought - I better ask someone for help. It's a Price Pfister cover and the...

Bathtub drain [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know what the part is called that has a lever and opens and closes the drain in the tub. I just moved in to an apartment and discovered that my tub doesn't have this so I can't take a bath only a shower. I want to know the right part to request they put back in the tub so they don't bring...

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I cleaned a pair of boots off in the tub. Debris went down the drain from off the boots and I think that this may be part of the problem I am experiencing. Every time I take a bath or shower and the water goes down the drain, it comes out in the basement from under the stairs. This happened twice....

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone care to share their preference for the lever type bathtub drain vs the lift and turn type. I have always had the lever type stopper but I don't think they have worked real well after they get a little age on them.

Shower Drain Issue [ 1 Answers ]

I need a real creative mind for this one. I bought a condo with an old custom build corner shower. I found a neoangle shower that we liked and demo'd the old. There were two concrete beds, one poured level with the subfloor and then one that was shaped with the proper drop, etc. I decided to...

View more questions Search