caperguy4u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 04:58 AM
    Painting
    Can I apint on treated wood?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for asking a question here, and welcome to the site.
    YES, you can paint on treated wood.
    I use exterior latex on treated posts, 4x4, for my back yard fence, putting about 5 coats of paint on the bottom going into the ground, and about 3 coats above ground. They last for about 10 years with painting.
    Without painting, will be rotten below ground, in about 5 years, and fall over!
    I also paint the treated boards, cause I don't care for the "treated" colors.
    Best wishes.
    caperguy4u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 04:13 AM
    Thank you Fred so much for your answer to my question on painting on treated wood. I don't know how many times I have been told that you cannot paint on it. I have started doing lots of handyman repair jobs and it seems I get lots of work on decks and fences so your info is very helpful to me, thank you. If you ever need some advise on Recreational Vehicles, such as motor homes and trailers I have worked in that field for 30 and have extensive knowledge in it.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Sep 12, 2006, 09:31 PM
    One word of caution. In your second post, you mentioned decks.

Decks should never be painted. It will fail. The only question is when. Also, they will get slippery when wet.

One thing to consider is to use solid color stain. Unlike paint, it doesn't create a film. It will let the wood breathe.

For any vertical pieces though, paint away. Use a good quality primer, Oil or Latex, and a good quality paint.

I worked at Depot in the paint department for a couple of years and every spring we had people coming in asking how to remove the paint from their deck as it was peeling. We pointed them to the belt sanders and told them to have fun and come back for solid color stain once they got as much off as possible.

Good Luck,

Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Painting [ 4 Answers ]

I Have an oil painting and can't read the bottom of the name of the artist. It depicts a man sitting at a table praying with glasses on his bible and a apple,bread I think and a bowl of soup. Does anyone know what this painting may be of or who could I ask to give me a value, if it has one.

Painting PVC [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering installing some stock, 4 foot, PVC gutter guards available at a big box store. They are white and I would like to paint them flat black. I have heard that epoxy paint will work on PVC. Any advice? Thanks, rb1935

Painting Fun! [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a place where you can indulge your inner abstract expressionist: move your mouse to splatter virtual paint and click to change the color. To create a hard copy, right-click on the "canvas" and select Print. Painting Fun I am not printing mine out and showing it to anybody. Let's just...

Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a painting that has paris etching society ny usa at the top and I believe the name is Diane Emmla Leconte. Can you tell me if she is a artist and if so how much is the painting worth?

View more questions Search