Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bostonmack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Tub Backed up -- First time ---Won't Drain
    Hi There,

I woke up this morning to find my first floor tub had water with some thin - "film like", brown residue backed up into it. It was about an inch of water and it doesn't seem to drain. Recently we've had the washing machine on and last night someone took a bath in the basement bathroom... those are the only heavy increases of drain water I can think of and we don't know when the back-up came about. The first floor tub is the only one that is backing up and this is the first time its ever happened.

We have city sewers and if temperature matters at all, we had our first subzero temps all day yesterday here in chicago and most likely will today as well.

Thank you for any help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 08:27 AM

The basement bathtub drain is your lowest spot, is it still working fine? If so the clog is further up stream. What happens to the water in the tub when you flush the toilet in that bath?
    bostonmack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 08:38 AM

The basement drain is still working fine (all other drains in the house seem to be as well)When we flush the toilet in the bath with the clogged tub nothing happens to the water in the tub. The drain doesn't bubble or anything. The toilet in that bath drains fine as does the sink.

Thank you for your help! Looks like your in wheaton so you know the cold I'm talking about... I'm in chicago
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 08:45 AM

6 below this morning, that's Chi in winter. Sounds like your clog is closer to the tub trap and before the two drains come together. Try holding a wet toewl over the overflow on the tub and then plung it with adding a bucket of really hot water added.
    Pivoman Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Dec 22, 2008, 02:40 PM

This is fairly easy to rectify. Remove the overflow cap right above your drain. Go to any home repair store; example Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware. Buy yourself a hand operated rodder. It's black, it has a hand crank on the side. The cable is flat, with a little spring/hook on the end. Insert it into the overflow vent. Turn the crank and push the rod through. You may have to do this several times... You will be amazed at all the hair that's in the line... I also live in the Chicago area... Good Luck & Stay Warm
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 22, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Greetings guys from a Rockford transplant. Pivoman nailed it. Follow his directions and snake the drain from the overflow,(see image). You will run into thereturn bend of the trap about 18" down but crank and work your way around it and put out about 10' more. Flush with a few pans of boiling water. Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backed up washing machine drain [ 3 Answers ]

The washing machine at the house I am moving into is overflowing when it drains. I tried to snake the pipe but it did not do the job. So I went to Home Depot and bought one of those black rubber bladders that goes on the end of a house and you insert into the drain pipe. Figured it would force the...

Backed up floor drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a floor drain in my basement that is backed up. It has a "ball" in it- what is that for? There is a plug in the side that I assume goes strait into the main line. How do I clean out the drain?

Drain line backed up [ 1 Answers ]

My the drain line for my washing machine has somehow backed up. What to do? Do I put Draino down it??

Inconsistent backed-up drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Drain in furnace room backed-up in March. Water softener drains in here. Had it snaked. It backed up again 2 weeks later. This time they snaked from the toilet out to street (about 75 feet... not sure it made it to the street). All was fine until October. Last week when water softener...

Washer drain backed up [ 5 Answers ]

When my washer drains, it backs up into my nearby heating duct. My home is a slab home. Without tearing up the floor, how can I tell if I have a leak in my drain or if it is just clogged?

View more questions Search