Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellykounsel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Horizontal Line Bug - Different!
    Hi all,

Ok, I have been dealing with horizontal lines that seem to be embedded in a document. I work in Mac 2008 for Word, but even on the PC versions have not been able to clear this up.

The line moves up and down with the text it seems to be anchored to, but I cannot find an anchor. It is NOT a border (I have been through this trying the border fixes several times in multiple ways [toolbar, B&S, AutoFormat]). It pastes into another document with the paragraph. If I delete the text in the first or second line of the paragraph, the horizontal line moves to the next sentence.

I have walked through just about every fix that I already saw posted on this site... I'm having no luck. I cannot select the line and move it with a mouse, have tried changing styles (thought it was maybe part of a style?), and nothing.

Anyone have any different suggestions (besides deleting the paragraph and retyping)?

Thanks for your help.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:25 AM

There is a possibility that it is a paragraph border (bottom of the previous or top of the next paragraph).

Select the previous paragraph and go to Format/Borders and Shading. Deselect anything you find active on that tab.

If that is not it, try the next paragraph.

Other... try putting your cursor on/near it and pressing CTRL-Q
    kellykounsel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    There is a possibility that it is a paragraph border (bottom of the previous or top of the next paragraph).

Select the previous paragraph and go to Format/Borders and Shading. Deselect anything you find active on that tab.

If that is not it, try the next paragraph.

Other...try putting your cursor on/near it and pressing CTRL-Q
    Hi JBeaucaire... tried the paragraph border before and again. No luck. The CTRL-Q only gave me an option to quit, nothing else. :-( I'm stumped!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 06:13 PM

Want to post your doc so I can see? Or email it to me? You'll need to put your email address in your profile, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word 2003 Horizontal Line Bug [ 11 Answers ]

I just cannot remove this horizontal line which word 2003 has inserted in my document. I also can't seem to highlight it. I have switched off auto format as you type 'border lines' but it doesn't make any difference. I have also tried highlighting it (though it never seems to be selectable) and...

Horizontal line above a character [ 15 Answers ]

I want to be able to put a horizontal line above some letters such as "a" or "c" . Does anyone know how to do this? Tks Donna

Horizontal Line in MS Word 2000 [ 13 Answers ]

How can I remove the Horizontal Line that goes completely across the page? How can I prevent it from happening again? I think there is something about holding down a key and pressing the "=" three times, but I cannot remember. Thanks.

Horizontal light line across center of screen [ 1 Answers ]

... this has happened several times in the past 2 days... I'll get a normal picture, then it will 'collapse' into one small horizontal line across the center of the screen. I turn the TV off, the picture returns, etc. This has happened several times. Does this mean the TV is dying? It's a Sanyo...

View more questions Search