Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marke1952 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Toilet bubbles when bathroom sink drains
    Old cabin... bathroom toilet bubbles when bath or kitchen sink are draining ? I wonder why?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Hi Marke1952:

If you are on a septic tank when was the last time the tank was pumped?

Bubbles usually indicate back pressure caused by a partial blockage downstream from the toilet. Rent a medium electric snake machine (Pic.#1) and snake the drain line from the roof vent or lift the toilet and snake drain from there. You may also want to purchase a pair of leather gloves and a pair of safety glasses... ;)

You may be able to confirm pipe is partially blocked by removing the main drain cleanout cover (just where sewer enters home) and then flooding the pipe with water so you can see if you hear any bubbling action at the cleanout. If there is bubbling noises then you would be best to snake the drain from the main drain cleanout itself, but in this case you would rent a LARGE snake machine (see pic. #2)... again, flood the pipes so you will know when you hit the blockage with snake.

If no issues at the main drain cleanout then back to the roof or the toilet if bubbling up in bathroom.

Let me know if you want to discuss in more detail...

MARK
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf snake heads2.pdf (21.2 KB, 223 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink drains, toilet and bathtub don't [ 5 Answers ]

Yesterday I heard gurgling in the toilet when the shower was on and when the bathroom sink was draining. I did a load of wash this morning and now the toilet bowl is not draing and water is backing up into the bathtub. The bathroom sink still drains. Can this be fixed with drain cleaner or...

Toilet bubbles when wash machine drains [ 3 Answers ]

Why does my toilet bubble when the wash machine drains,what could be the problem,

Shower,toilet and sink drains rough in bathroom [ 10 Answers ]

I have the rough ins done on a concrete basement floor for a toilet,shower and sink and wanted to ask/confirm before starting the work. Toilet drain and supply water. A 4" lead pipe sticks out about 10" off the concrete floor, concrete is all around. Is this OK to cut the lead pipe and leave...

Washer drains, then toilet bubbles? [ 13 Answers ]

I noticed last night as the washer drained, the toilet bubbled, then drained, in another part of the house. The bathtub also made gurgling noises. Is this a blocked sewer pipe? Thanks!

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

View more questions Search