Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelleymn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Studor Vent
    I recently got a new roof (flat) after Hurricane Wilma. My bathroom vent pipe had blown out through the roof and the roofers stupidly tarred over the drain. Not wanting to open up the roof, the contracted plumber said that a studor vent could be used instead of opening up the hole on the roof. Even the city code enforcement person said that it was okay, as long as there was a way to access the vent in the drywall. I've had the vent for about 3 months and today, while cleaning my toilet, an awful, overpowering sewage smell came from the toilet. Then when I flushed the toilet it was worse. I had to turn my head into my sleeve to avoid the potent fumes.

Now I am wondering if the studor vent is the viable solution. From what I've read, it seems okay, but why would I now have these awful fumes? I'm concerned now about methane gas in my house.

I am literally freaking out because I just put my drywall back and the thought of having to open the roof now and possible leakage again terrifies me.

Why am I having this smell and fumes. It was so bad it seeped into my master bedroom?

Shelley
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 4, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Hi Shelly, Greetings from Sarasota where we get hurricanes also.

Does the toilet "bubble" or "gurgle" when flushed.

"the city code enforcement person said that it was okay, as long as there was a way to access the vent in the drywall."
    "I am literally freaking out because I just put my drywall back"

Are you saying you drywalled the vent in against instructions? Where is it located? Is there still a open pipe in the attic?
    Any moisture around the base of the toilet?
    Let me know, Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Studor Vent Failing? [ 3 Answers ]

We have a Studor Terminal in an inside hallway closet in our home. Occasionally, when you walk by you can smell the sewer gases, the nice rotten egg smell of hydrogen sulfide. I thought these were a one way air vent system and prevented this sort of thing? Is it not functioning properly?...

Studor air gaps [ 2 Answers ]

I have checked out the Studor web site that Speedball reccomends and they say you can use their air gap and not go through the roof with the vent stack. Unless I missed it I haven't found any mention in any of the threads on here about venting this way. We are almost ready to go through the roof...

Studor vent with tow lavs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 foot lav in my new addition. The bath is on the 2nd floor and there is no way to run the drain into the wall because of the joist below the wall. I am going through the floor into the 1st floor joist space with both lav drains. My question is -Can I use one studor vent for both lavs? I...

View more questions Search