Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tracey280 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Bathroom faucet handles
    Hello all,

I have been trying to replace my bathroom faucet handles both cold and hot. After some problem finding the correct handles I got them screwed in and I turned the water on from underneath and it came on fine. However, when I turned the handle to turn the water off the handle turned but the water kept going. THe only way it would turn off was again from underneath the cabinet. I only took the handle off and replaced it with another I do not understand what could be the problem. Can anyone help me?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 10:59 AM

To turn the water on do you only turn the handle a half of a turn? If so he may have turned the stem while the handle was off, and the new handle does not line up with the stop in the handle.

Another thing is that the new handles may not have been made to work with the faucet that you have.

Does this do the same thing on the hot and the cold water handles?

Take off one of the new handles and slightly turn on the water at the cut off under the sink, now if water is coming out turn the stem with a pair of pliers until the water stops flowing. Now look at the bottom side of the handle and see how it is made, see if you can make the handle fit on the stem with the stem in this position.

Let me know what you find.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 11:14 AM

Remove the new handles and turn them bottom side up, compare to the old handles. Do the toothed slots look the same, they must slide down onto a toothed spindle on the stem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faucet handles without set screws ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I installed a new faucet set on my ped. Sink and after a month the two faucets handles began to get loose and can rock back and forth. There are no set screws or ornamental caps hiding set screws. Does anyone know where you go to tighten the faucet handles?...

Removing Shower Faucet Handles [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a newbie so forgive me if this has been answered. I have an older Central shower faucet with three knobs. I am trying to remove the Hot & Cold water knobs to replace the washers, but after removing the "end" screws the handles will not come off. I tried forcefully but with caution...

Replacing decorative bath faucet handles [ 1 Answers ]

I have a jaccuzzi tub that is fairly new but the vertical teeth inside the large chrome on brass handle (which are plastic) that grab the stem have stripped. It is apparently one of the more difficult stems to match. I have not been succesfull locally. I think it would be classified at or near a...

Leaking faucet in bathtub-2 handles-30 yrs old [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to get the hot water handle to come off so I can put a washer on it. I can't get that stem thing to come out and hot water is coming out at a fast clip! :confused:

Stuck handles on compression faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I am attempting to change the seat washer on a compression faucet, however the faucets (circa 1955) appear to be stuck and can't be removed for access to the stem. Is there a plumbing tool, product or process to help remove the handle from the stem?

View more questions Search