Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessechenven Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2006, 06:47 AM
    Venting for a washer.
    I would like to add a washer hook-up in a utility room that I have. It is on the 1st floor of a 2 story home. Directly above it is a bathroom, so I have hot and cold water lines in the wall. As well as two waste pipes (a 3" from the toilet and a 2" from the sink/shower). I am assuming it is a no-no to just hook-up to the waste pipe because that would not allow for proper venting. Is that correct? What are my options (besides ripping out tons of drywall, tile and roofing to put in a new vent)? What about trailer-home one way vents (*just heard about them, never seen one)?

Thanks,
    Jesse
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessechenven
    I would like to add a washer hook-up in a utility room that I have. It is on the 1st floor of a 2 story home. Directly above it is a bathroom, so I have hot and cold water lines in the wall. As well as two waste pipes (a 3" from the toilet and a 2" from the sink/shower). I am assuming it is a no-no to just hook-up to the waste pipe because that would not allow for proper venting. Is that correct? What are my options (besides ripping out tons of drywall, tile and roofing to put in a new vent)? What about trailer-home one way vents (*just heard about them, never seen one)?

Thanks,
    Jesse
    Hi Jessie,

http://www.studor.com/ gets you to a site to check out AAV's,( Air Admittance Valve.)

Since garbage disposals I don't recommend discharging a washer and kitchen sink on the same line.
    Cut into the3" stack about 6" off the floor to at he center of a 3 X2" sanitary tee. Come off the sanitary tee with a 2" upright tee. Install a AAV on the upright branch of the 2" tee and a 2" trap on the other side. Now run a 2" standpipe up from the trap to one inch higher then the rim of the washer.
    You have just cimpleted the drainage and vent for your washer. Good luck. Tom
    jessechenven Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Thanks Tom,
    Do you ever need to woory about flooding with the AAV, if for example you had a seriously clogged drain?
    Thanks, Jesse
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2006, 09:39 AM
    As you can see by the image the AAV is spring loaded and remains closed until it opens to vent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

How many fixtures can be tapped into the main vent? I have a 2" main vent.

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , In the basement , there is a mechanical vent on a bathtub wich tells me its not vented by the main stack. Could the tub be changed to a shower stall. Also wich size drain should the shower stall be?

Venting problems? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Tom, here's an update. Sewer line from house to tank augered out, Ran hose in line for 15 min while cleanining it out. Filled tub over half full.. Upon draining everything was fine. Tub used again two hours later drains fine, I Use two hours after that, Downstairs toilet does not back up,...

Venting Thanks [ 7 Answers ]

Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site! I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me. 1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet...

Tub Venting? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm rebuilding a 1920's bathroom from the floor joist and studs, the question I have is the 1 1/2" Tub Over Flow ties into the trap which then ties into a 3" stack with a 3x3x1-1/2" Sanitary Tee. Do I need to install a vent in for the tub if the trap is 12" away from the stack? ...

View more questions Search