Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pageturner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Backed up washing machine drain
    The washing machine at the house I am moving into is overflowing when it drains. I tried to snake the pipe but it did not do the job. So I went to Home Depot and bought one of those black rubber bladders that goes on the end of a house and you insert into the drain pipe. Figured it would force the blockage out and I would be back in business.I turned on the water and the bladder expanded and the water flowed into the drain pipe. After a while I heard a noice in the kitchen and I find that the water is now overflowing the kitchen sink.
    It took a while for the kitchen sink to drain. What do I do now?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
    We usedto call those things sewer bags, (see image).
    .I turned on the water and the bladder expanded and the water flowed into the drain pipe. After a while I heard a noice in the kitchen and I find that the water is now overflowing the kitchen sink.
    Didn't the instructions tell you that in order for a sewer bag to work ALL openings such as vents and branches containing fixture drains MUST be closed off?
    Forget the sewer bag. Get yourself a hand held power snake, (see image)and snak the line from the washer stand pipe or either the washer or the kitchen roof vent. If you go down from the roof vent send the snake all the way to the base and 20 feet more. You may have to rent a larger sewer machine,(see image) if you go on the roof. Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. Tom
    pageturner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    We usedto call those things sewer bags, (see image).

Didn't the instructions tell you that in order for a sewer bag to work ALL openings such as vents and branches containing fixture drains MUST be closed off?
    Forget the sewer bag. Get yourself a hand held power snake, (see image)and snak the line from the washer stand pipe or either the washer or the kitchen roof vent. If you go down from the roof vent send the snake all the way to the base and 20 feet more. You may have to rent a larger sewer machine,(see image) if you go on the roof. good luck and thank you for rating my reply. Tom
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did not see anything in the directions about shutting off the openings. I'm not sure how I would have done that. I had no way of knowing what else was on the branch.
    I think I will rent a larger power snake and go through the roof vent. This is a one story house. How many feet of cable will I need?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2008, 11:11 AM
    I think I will rent a larger power snake and go through the roof vent. This is a one story house. How many feet of cable will I need?
    Twoi rolls oughta get it. Down here most of our homes are one story and it's quicker to snake from the roof then to pulol a toilet and go in from there. Figure 28 feet to get to the base and 20 more to get out to the house main. 40 feet should do it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

Vent for Washing Machine Drain Attached to Existing Drain Line [ 0 Answers ]

"Current setup for a washing machine has the discharge hose "hooked" into a laundry tub. Tennants would like something more "permanent." The laundry tub has a normal trap followed by a horizontal run of about 2 feet (2" threaded pipe) then "T's" into a vertical drain/vent. The vent line goes...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Washing machine backed up into powder room toilet on main floor [ 2 Answers ]

I saw something similar to this problem, so I hope I am not duplicating. I was washing clothes and noticed when it was draining that I heard gurgling in my kitchen sink. The sounds were coming from the kitchen sink, but no water back up. I walked to where the washer is located and looked...

Washing machine backed up? [ 10 Answers ]

We moved into a new house (the house is about 6 yrs old) this weekend. We ran the washing machine for the first time last night. We never had problems with our washer at our old house, and everything looked fine last night after we washed a load. However, this morning, the laundry room had water on...

View more questions Search