Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecmiller67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Moving dryer from main level to basement.
    I'd like to move my washer and dryer from its current location on the main floor to my unfinished basement. Rather than placing it directly below its current location, I've identified a spot on the other end of the house, which happens to be underneath a powder room. Therefore, I will have access to the plumbing for any and all water/drainage needs. My question though, is how can I vent the dryer. I do have access to an exterior wall (concrete/brick), but am curious to know if there is another way to vent it. If I'm forced to vent it outside, is there an easy wasy to cut through the masonery? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 02:36 PM

Are the floor joists open? The floor joist should be resting on the concrete basement walls. If you take the exhaust piping up between the joists, you should only have to go through the brick. That's fairly easy to do. Use a 4 lb sledge hammer and a 16" length of ¾” iron pipe to make a hole in the center of what will be a 4" hole. Then enlarge the hole to the required 4" using the pipe and chisels.

If you try to go thru an 8 or 10" concrete wall you will need a small pneumatic jackhammer or a core boring drill.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Nov 4, 2008, 02:44 PM

Like HK siad, it should be fairly easy to install a new vent from your basement. If you cannot, they make ventless dryers that turn the exhaust into water and discharge it into a drain, or there is such a thing as an interior vent which does not require running a duct to the outside, but I don't recommend that as they tend to add humidity to your basement and house.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 04:53 PM

I think the two guys ahead of me covered your question but I have one for you regarding your plumbing. Just because you are below a powder room doesn't insure you can have a drain. Where does the sewer pipe leave your house, how close and at what level or elevation?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nice on main level, hot on upper level [ 4 Answers ]

We live in a house that is 5 yrs old. With the A/C on, the main level of the house is very comfortable yet the upper level where the bedrooms are doesn't seem to cool down at all. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the duct work which won't be an easy fix. Could there be any other...

Hot on Main Level Cold in Basement [ 4 Answers ]

We recently moved into a home about 52 years old. A year ago the previous owner added on a room off the kitchen. It has two small floor vents. The problem is that the basement is extremely cool to cold whereas the main floor is very warm to hot and very hard to get cooled. The blower runs...

Moving Main Electrical Panel [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All You Very Helpful People I Am Wanting To Move My Main Electrical Panel Literally Around A Corner Less Than 1' Away Any Suggestions? Thanks Marianne

Moving washer and dryer to basement [ 3 Answers ]

I am buying a new house that has the washer and dryer located on the main floor, but I want to move it into the unfinished basement (as well as add a laundry tub). There is a rough in for a bathroom directly below where the washer and dryer are currently located, and I'd like to move the washer...

View more questions Search