Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seahorse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2006, 03:44 PM
    Toilet overflow does not back up into tub
    My toilet overflowed the other day and did much damage to a wood floor. The bath tub and shower pan were both dry. I would have thought that the overflow would have run into the tub or shower pan. Why wouldn't that have occurred.

The shower, tub and toilet all drain into a single pipe and then into a holding tank with a sewer pump. The contents of the holding tank is then pumped into a septic tank.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2006, 04:28 PM
    The tub/shower wouldn't get the overflow unless it was downstream from the
    Clog. This puts the problem in your toilet bowl or the closet bend. To fix this run a closet auger down the bowl. Regards. Tom
    seahorse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Thanks for the response. However the reason for the flooding was that the sewer pump failed. The holding tank filled and then backed up into the toilet. Why wouldn't the water run into the tub and shower pan?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahorse
    Thanks for the response. However the reason for the flooding was that the sewer pump failed. The holding tank filled and then backed up into the toilet. Why wouldn't the water run into the tub and shower pan?
    To answer your question we would have to be there, check elevations, see if there were check valves on the tub and shower drains etc. I guess it will always remain one of lifes little mysterys. LOL. PS. Glad you located the problem. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Air bubbles coming from toilet... overflow on flush, occasionally empties and... [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a modern condomiunim. My unit is next to the laundry room (wondering if that's relevant due to the washers). Occasionally, the toilet gets air bubbles for about a minute. If I try to flush during this period, the toilet just overflows and the water doesn't empty. I tried using a...

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Toilet back-up [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed a Kohler K3496 'Comfort Height' toilet that uses 1.6 gal. of water for each flush. The previous toilet worked fine - no clogs or problems just old and ugly. The new toilet clogs very easily - small amounts of paper and liquid waste only - and doesn't unclog without much...

Mysterious Toilet Overflow [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Great website you have here. I live in a two-year old apartment building on the ground floor. We have a duplex with a washing machine on the second floor and a bathroom on each floor. The downstairs bathroom toilet is not used regularly. However, on several occasions, we have found...

Shower drain causing Toilet overflow [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing the commode in my bathroom, the old commode is removed and that leaves the toilet hole exposed, for the time being. During this time, water in the shower is turned on. The shower is about 4 feet away from the toilet. About 15 minutes later, water starts seeping...

View more questions Search