Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Toolman56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 05:54 PM
    New water heater, leaky pressure valve
    I installed a new water heater and the pop off or pressure valve is leaking a small stream of water. Can this be stopped without installing a new valve?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 07:15 PM

Not unless the water is at a very high tempature, higher than the pop off valve is set at. If it was like this when you installed it I think the valve is bad.
    bogreen Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Sometimes you can open and close the relief valve a couple of times and then it seals like its supposed to. Try that. I've had success doing that on a lot of them.

Bruce in L.A.
    fadunne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 07:45 AM
    No you must change the valve or it will leak al the time this has a pressure spring and it got damaged meaby by frost so change it it drip down into hot press and then rust will destroy clothes in press
    meltrol Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Jan 2, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Hopefully you replaced the pressure/temp. relief valve when you installed the new water heater. You really should, they don't cost that much. The valve is leaking for one of three reasons; the temp. is too high, the pressure is too high or the relief valve is defective. You first need to determine which it is before you can remedy the problem. Check the temp. with a thermometer at a hot-water spigot outlet and check the pressure with a gauge attached to a hose bib. If they check out OK (below the relief valve ratings) you need to replace the relief valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have...

Hot Water Heater Pressure Valve [ 3 Answers ]

Every year when we go on vacation I turn the water off to the house. Last year we noticed that the carpet in the basement which is next to the closet that houses the hot water heater was damp after returning home and turning the water back on. We did not notice any water on the floor next to the...

Hot Water Heater pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

On my water heater, I have the Pressure Relief Valve on top. There is also a (plugged) PRV outlet on the side of the heater. Can I move my valve to the side outlet? Is there a reason that it may have been installed at the top as opposed to the side? Thanks

Pressure relief valve / water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaking valve on my waterheater , do I need to replace pressure valve , if so what is correct way of doing so ?

View more questions Search