Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jules4dee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 11:59 AM
    toilet on septic system bubbles when we shower
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can help? Our toilet bubbles with air and we get a terrible sewer smell when we use the shower or bathtub. We are on a septic system with a well in the country/ farmland. The toilet did not bubble when we first moved in 1 year ago but we have always gotten the sewer smell from time to time, sometimes very strong.
    The system and drains were all checked before we bought the home. The septic tank was pumped out, inspected and deemed clear of any cracks or leaks.
    We are very good about not putting anything down the toilet other than waste and paper. We routinely use a digester such as rid-x to keep the septic healthy.
    I'm not sure what the problem could be?? Any help would be great!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 01:09 PM

Could be you need something organic down there. We used to use a piece of liver down the toilet to keep everything perking.
    eddiy75ru Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Oct 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
    I am not a plumber, but have been told by plumbers that this type problem may be due to nonfunctioning "gas vent piping" system. House drain pipes (all toilets, showers, bathtubs, sinks) must have vent piping leading upward to open outside. These vent pipes are primarily to prevent odor problem like you seem to have. These have been standard plumbing requirements for many years (decades), but inspection of "formerly owned" houses would not normally test them for possible clogging. ALSO could be you have some sewer drain obstruction/clog/slow-drain below and near the bath/shower/toilet with the problem. Are you having any other bubbling or odor problem in other locations? In general just having a septic system is does not cause of air bubbling. Clogged sewer drain or air vent pipe is likely the cause. First assure the water drains freely from bath/shower and toilet having the problem (use drain cleaner as needed). If they all drain well, next go onto roof and check that vent pipe exits are not clogged (bird nest or dead animal?). If not find cure call plumber. And also FYI, the septic tank gets plenty of organic "food" from your kitchen and toilet(s), so flushing additional "food" down toilet makes not difference - it all goes to the same septic tank where microbes and organisims consume it. Hope this information helped you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 03:15 PM

Edd is on the right track, your vent is clogged. The best approach is to rent a sewer rodder and rod down from the roof stack all the way to the basement plus 20' more.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 04:08 PM

Agree. Sounds like a clogged vent. However if clearing your vent doesn't prove to fix your problem, you may have a partial clog in you house sewer, or a faulty drain field on your septic system. If you have a drain problem you will soon have waste backing up into the lowest fixture in the house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 10, 2008, 04:26 AM
    I have a different take on this. The complaint was;
    Our toilet bubbles with air and we get a terrible sewer smell when we use the shower or bathtub
    Now if this were a vent problem air would be pulled in making a gurgle. Instead we have a bubble. I think they have a partial blockage downstream from toilet. When they drain a fixture the discharge hits the clog and bounces back sending a bubble of sewer gas ahead of it that comes out of the toilet. I would snake the lavatory roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 feet more to get oput in the main. This will clear both the vent and the drain line. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Bubbles when use of shower,toilet,washer HELP [ 5 Answers ]

:( We just bought a house and everything seemed to be fine, newer water heater and passed the plumbing inspections. HOWEVER, not even living here a month, we have "bubble issues" For instance when the washer ((clothes, we don't have a dishwasher)) drains we here gurgeling in the kitchen sink. And...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Toilet bubbles [ 1 Answers ]

I built my house a little over a year ago, and did everything myself to save money, however I am not a professional plumber. I am located in the country, so I did not pull any permits. My plumbing has worked fine up until about a month ago. My drain starts at the kitchen sink, and runs 20' in 2"...

Toilet bubbles [ 3 Answers ]

For months now I have been hearing an occasional bubble coming from my toilet. I assumed it was coming from the sewer system. There was not any problems with drainage. This morning I heard the noise again. This time the toilet , washer and bathroom sink came up into my tub. And nothing is draining...

View more questions Search