Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willarrington Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Water well pipe size
    I am going to run a submersible pump in a well 600 feet from our cabin. It is going up hill probably 20 feet in slow rise. Would you have a low pressure by only going with 1" instead of 1 1/4" sch 40. Also another question - the existing line is one made of ~2" - ~2 1/2" plastic pipe which they use for water at oil drilling sites. I did not know this. I was thinking about digging down to the pipe from the top part of the attachment and running the new pipe inside of the old pipe. I was going to use bell ended pipe and use the beveled end going down hill so with any bumps it would slide over. The pipe is a single piece. What do you think the chance of running it inside of the other pipe all the way down.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 04:19 PM

I would opt for the larger pipe size in this case. As far as sliding the new pipe inside of the old pipe. All you can do is try. If it doesn't go, you need to dig a separate trench. Are you dead set on pvc. You could use black poly and it may slide through the existing pipe better
    willarrington Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 07:17 PM

Is the black poly pipe better or cheaper
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 06:17 AM

The black poly is cheap and has the advantage in that you can buy it in long lengths so no joints. However, it is my understanding that the black poly does tend to break down after years of use.

Just out of curiosity, why are you going to replace the pipe? Is the current pipe leaking? Just because it was designed for a different use doesn't automatically mean that it will not work well to supply your house with water.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 04:40 PM

Black poly is just as good as other tubing as long as you get the higher rated psi tubing and use brass (not plastic) fittings for adapting. I always use two hose clamps for each connection. Please let us know what you decide.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 05:03 PM

Glad you pointed that out. I'm not real familiar with black poly as it's kind of gone out of style around here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammering, water arresters, big pipe flowing into small pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a water hammer (I'm guessing) problem in our house. All the pipes are under the house and it is a timber house so each time there is a water hammer noise it is extremely noisy. Basically any tap in the house is making the noise when turning on or off quickly with loud bangs. Cold...

Gas pipe size [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a home in Birmingham, AL that was built in the mid-fifties. I am working on correcting some problems due to improper work done by the previous owners and am starting to completely re-pipe my natural gas system that feeds a furnace, water heater, stove, gas dryer, and fireplace log. I...

Pipe Size [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everbody Any one please inform me about chart of pipe size in certain pressure

Size black pipe for the hot water tank and furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what is the correct size black pipe is used for the furnace and hot water tank 1/2" and 3/4" Thank you

Pipe size? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in san francisco and am adding a lavitory sink I plan to connect to current shower drain with a wye and loop vent through same what size pipe do I need and what is the best way to support it ? Sink will be 4 1/2 feet from shower drain thank you tallgrass:o

View more questions Search