Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vastrauss Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Cast iron vs PVC pipe
    We need new flood control inour home. Why is cast iron pipe required over pvc? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vastrauss View Post
    We need new flood control inour home. Why is cast iron pipe required over pvc? Thanks.
    Where do you live,(on the West Coast perhaps?) and what plumbing code do you fall under? I just replace my ate up cast iror with Plastic. Pvc will out last cast iron over the long haul. I can't understand why your code mandates cast iron. Sounds like another crazy UPC mandate to me. Regards, Tom

Sep 27, 2008, 10:38 AM
    We follow the Illinois Plumbing Code. Thanks for your help!
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vastrauss View Post
    We follow the Illinois Plumbing Code. Thanks for your help!
    Ahh Illinois! I was born in Rockford and lived there until my early twentys. Are you quite sure that you can't go with PVC. It will give you much better service in the long run. We have a plumbing expert that lives in Wheaton. Bob! You around? Regards, tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 10:51 AM

Who gave you the advice about cast? Section 890 Even in historic building all you need to do to meet or exceed spec. PVC should be allowed statewide as far as I know. Where in Illinois are you located and what code restriction says cast only, I think someone may have given you outdated advice.

Sep 28, 2008, 11:01 AM

Morton Grove

A local plumber. He wants to use PVC but says that it is not code.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 11:05 AM

Call your building inspector and ask him about your drain pipe requirements. I'm cinfident he will say PVC is more than accetable. Who told you cast was a requirement?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Call your building department and check to be sure. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

How to cut cast iron pipe. [ 6 Answers ]

Im trying to get a fairly straigh cut on the cast iron 2 inch pipe that I accessed through a hole in the concrete foundation. Short of making the hole entirely to large to use my saws all, I don't know what to do!!

Cast Iron Drain Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I would like an answer to several questions. 1. I have a rough-in for a shower in my basement. The concrete floor has a 7" diameter hole with a cast iron pipe about 9" down from the concrete surface. There is a round plug in the end of the cast iron with no square in the center for a wrench. ...

PVC to cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I am cutting out a 4 foot section of 4" cast iron stack pipe and installing a pvc cleanout and a y section of pvc near the top. I have already installed riser clamps on top and bottom. What can I use to adapt the pvc to the cast iron? I have seen some guys say rubber donut types or with...

Pvc and cast iron pipe [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove pvc threaded coupling from rusted cast iron pipe? Want to be able to reinstall new pvc coupling in cast iron pipe. Thanks in advanced.

View more questions Search