Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rehd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Toilet continues to fill but it does not fill
    My toilet continues to fill and fill but it never does get filled. I googled this and found a lot of help and have searched this forum but I couldn't find an answer.

- I noticed a leak at the top of the tower which has the rod then the ball thing attached to it, I tightened those screws at the top, stopped the leak up top.
    - I Tried to close the valves, they look closed, and seemed closed to me
    - I tried moving the device connected to the chain to it's original position and let it fill up like that, but it still did not fill.
    - I adjusted the big blue screw on the top hearing that would tighten and lower the ball more which could help
    - I adjusted the rod for the ball itself and nothing

Last time this happened, I just lifted the ball and set it on higher grounds in the toilet so it stopped filling, walked in in the morning, lowered the ball, and the toilet was fine. It could be something with all the things I looked at above, I am no toilet expert. It almost makes me think the toilet is starting to go bad as this is the 3rd or 4th time I've noticed this since I've moved into the house, (July 21st). Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

(Someone please help! The people at Runza next door keep giving me bad looks when I keep having to go over to the restaurant to go to the bathroom! :( )
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2008, 11:26 AM
    It almost makes me think the toilet is starting to go bad as this is the 3rd or 4th time I've noticed this since I've moved into the house I Tried to close the valves, they look closed, and seemed closed to me
    Toilets don't wear out and go bad, The innards do but the tank and bowl don't and what valves are you talking about? Having said that let's get startred. Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavy edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the ballcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube. Let's check the flush valve. Tonight before bed time,( and after you use the john)pour some food coloring in the tank. Next morning look in the bowl for any color. Of course this is after you check the flapper to be sure it's good. Let me known how you make out. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 08:02 PM

Your flopper probably doesn't close all the way. Make sure it is not hitting something on the way down and / or the chain is long enough allowing it to sit on the tank drain opening...

Sit backwards on the toilet, remove lid and flush the toilet several times. Observe how the flopper operates. Look for smooth up and down motion. If it hits side of the tank, or overflow tube, or if it is too sluggish moving - adjust it for smooth operation.
    jbinkling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2012, 03:54 PM

Even small slow leaks can be very costly. Any leak bigger than a drip drip drip, anything that's actually a stream of water, can add up to from 50 to 100 cubic feet of water (375 to 750 gallons) a day.

Worse, slow leaks can be nearly invisible, a small stream running along the inside of the overflow tube, and they can occur even if the flapper is tight and the float and arm stop the flow of water into the tank enough so that the sound of water filling stops with that convincing little screech and you can't see the water in the tank moving at all, not the slightest hint of a ripple.

My basement toilet was leaking over a hundred cubic feet a day from one of these leaks. If I hadn't signed up with the city water company for "leak notification" (meter check) I would never have known until I got the bill, which only comes every three months. I couldn't find the leak even when I was notified, had to call in someone. Key: there should be NO WATER MOVING ANYWHERE AT ALL when it's full. To be sure, put a colored tablet or food coloring right into the overflow tube and watch the results.

The solution was maddeningly easy - a simple clockwise turn of the blue screw at the top of the valve assembly shut off the near-invisible leak. One would think that manually adjusting the float itself so that the filling water stops with that watery screech, would be enough. But no. You need the Turn of the Screw.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Jbinkling said, "To be sure, put a colored tablet or food coloring right into the overflow tube and watch the results"... this is incorrect!

I'm betting that he meant to put the colored tablet (or food coloring) into the toilet TANK only and let it sit for a period. If the color shows in the toilet BOWL then there is a leak at the flapper in the toilet tank and the flapper or the entire flush valve assembly needs to be replaced... ;)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer continues to fill and overflows during all cycle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool washer model number lsr5232lq0 that continues to fill during all cycles And overflows I can get it to work correct on small load setting. Can anyone tell me what to look for or what part to replace. Thanks in advance Wjc

Toilet will not fill [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new user of this website. Can anyone tell me why my toilet will not fill up? This problem just started. It flushes fine, but the water level in the bowl stays low and does not fill. The tank fills and shuts off and is ready to flush the next time. I have been solving my problem by...

Toilet won't fill up [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help please! My toilet won't fill up, it's quite a new toilet and has the push button flush on the top of the tank, I can't get the top off to look inside to see what the problem is can anyone inform me what the problem may be and how to remove the top?

Kenmore washer continues to fill [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have a Kenmore Elite Catalyst, model# 110.20052994. About a week ago, it would not drain. I even tried pressing the drain button on the control panel, but it did not work. So, I drained the water by hand and tried to run through another small load cycle. Now, the washer continues to...

View more questions Search