Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deb73 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Water Softener for whole house
    Hello,

The plumbing set up in my house does not have a loop for a softener. So from what I have been told I would have to have softened water running throughout my house, kitchen included. (unless I spend a fortune to get plumbing redone) Is this a bad idea?

Can anyone give me any advice about this? A softener really is required in the vegas area.

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deb73
    Hello,

The plumbing set up in my house does not have a loop for a softener. So from what i have been told I would have to have softened water running throughout my house, kitchen included. (unless I spend a fortune to get plumbing redone) Is this a bad idea?

Can anyone give me any advice about this? A softener really is required in the vegas area.

Thanks
    Cutting in a water softener isn't all that hard to do ifyou'reeven a little bit handy. It consists of cutting into the cold water line coming into your house and making a bypass,(see image). What type of pipes do you have? Copper? Galvanized or plastic? Let me know if you wish to try installing this yourself. Regards Tom

May 13, 2006, 03:16 PM
    I don't think I could really attempt this, the pipes are copper
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2006, 03:32 PM
    OK Deb,
    Then what is it that I can tell you? You shouldn't have to spend a bundle if you have it done. The biggest expense should be the water softener.
    Tom

May 13, 2006, 09:41 PM
    I guess, how harmful is it to have softened water running through every pipe in the house?
    Eternal Plumber

May 14, 2006, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deb73
    I guess, how harmful is it to have softened water running through every pipe in the house?
    None that I know of Deb. I have never had any complaints from customers that have "whole house softeners". Laundry washes better in soft water, your skin feels softer when you bathe or shower in soft water. If you have hard water or a high lime content inyour water a water softener would be a definite asset. Regards, Tom
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 14, 2006, 06:35 AM
    I just has a softner installed for the entire house and BOY what a difference... the cost for mine was roughly $600 installed... you need to know the "hardness" of your water to properly setup the numbers so you are not using too much or too little salt... good luck and you will enjoy definitely if you choose to get

May 14, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Thanks, do you know of any faucet mount filters that would specifically filter out the sodium. It would be nice to have this option in the kitchen for cooking and water for the pets. Also what about a filter I could attach to outside spicket for hot tub and watering plants.
    Eternal Plumber

May 14, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Hi Deb,

Clicking on this link Sodium filter for faucets - Google Search will take you to lots of filters that will work on faucets or hose bibs. Enjoy, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softener sanitization [ 1 Answers ]

I have an opportunity to get a culligan mark 10 water softener from a friend. It has not been in use for a couple of years and has standing water present in both the brine tank and the resin chamber. I know I can get the brine tank cleaned and sanitized. The concern I have is the resin...

No hot water to whole house :eek: [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I have a problem with the hot water in my house... there isn't any. :eek: We have a tankless system, as opposed to a separate hot water heater. Over the years, the pressure of our hot water has decreased, now to the point where there is virtually no pressure and no hot water in any of the...

Dirty Water Softener [ 2 Answers ]

Whoever installed the water softener in my house (done with the previous owner) obviously wasn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen because they installed the sediment filter AFTER the water softener (I'm on a dug well with quite a bit of sediment coming through the pipes). Needless to say my water...

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

No cold water in house [ 5 Answers ]

We only have warm/hot water coming from every faucet in the house. We had Mr. Plumber come out this time last year with the same problem and he said the pipes were crossed and he rerouted them. $500 later, it worked, but only for a year. So now I'm thinking that wasn't really the problem? My...

View more questions Search