Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SRide2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Cold water in the house appears dirty
    Hello,

I am a homeowner of a 26 year old remodeled home. The weather here has been extremely dry then we have a down pouring of rain for a day or two. Afterwards, the cold water in my house appears very murky. What is the cause of this?
    The water pipes inside the house have been replaced within the last 5 yrs.

Thanks,
    SRide2
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 8, 2008, 01:32 PM
    If you are on city water, maybe rainwater spilling into the treatment plant or a broken water main somewhere. If well water maybe runoff getting into your well? The well water level may be getting low if there hasn't been much rain, it will run with bubbles or look dirty if there isn't sufficient flow to meet the pump's capacity. If the pump cycles on and off quickly that can lead to muddy water is the pressure tank working properly?

Sep 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
    It is a well system. The pump and hot water heater are in fine operation at this time. The water color is clearing up so I am assuming it is from the hard rain and spilling over into the well system. Am I correct in thinking a water filtration system would be the best answer?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 11, 2008, 10:57 AM
    I would let it ride for a while. If this was a one time thing then it will clear up by itself. If it returns then we can address the problem. Good luck, Tom

Sep 11, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Sounds like a good plan to me. It is clearing up but in the mean time, I will check into putting a filter on since they do not appear to be that expensive and it may save me grief in the long run. Any suggestions as to the type?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 11, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SRide2
    Sounds like a good plan to me. It is clearing up but in the mean time, I will check into putting a filter on since they do not appear to be that expensive and it may save me grief in the long run. Any suggestions as to the type?
    Not being on site and eyeballing the job keeps me from making a recommendation. I have no idea the type of soil and the amount going into your house. Sorry! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No cold water in part of house.. HELP!? [ 6 Answers ]

This past Wednesday, for some unknown reason, the cold water has stopped coming out of my kitchen faucet, (on 2nd floor) as well as no cold water in going to the washer (1st floor) or the outside spigot. There is still cold water in the bathrooms on all three floors of the house (built 1991) and...

When I turn on the cold water, it doesn't work. But hot does!- Whole house [ 1 Answers ]

This morning when I went to turn on the cold water, it doesn't work but when I turn the hot on it does. It's the same in the entire house, including the hose bibs, with the exception of my daughters bathroom sink. We've since turned off the water to the house. Is this a burst pipe?

Dirty Water Coming From Cold Faucets [ 2 Answers ]

Please help! Our house is about 105 years old. We just started noticing that all the cold faucets upstairs are dispensing dirty cold water. (The hot water faucets are fine.) This is affecting our toilet, bathtub, and sink. Downstairs faucets do not seem to be affected. My husband did...

No cold water in house [ 5 Answers ]

We only have warm/hot water coming from every faucet in the house. We had Mr. Plumber come out this time last year with the same problem and he said the pipes were crossed and he rerouted them. $500 later, it worked, but only for a year. So now I'm thinking that wasn't really the problem? My...

No Cold Water In House! Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the cold water in my house. Everything was working fine until about a week ago and now every time you turn the cold water on it goes from cool to warm in 2 or 3 seconds. I have tried letting in run, testing all of the water faucets, washing machine, etc. in the house. I am...

View more questions Search