Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VirginiaDave Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Low pressure from submersible well pump
    I'll summarize what my situation is and what I've done so far.

Pressure tank doesn't fill with water
    Pressure tank air pressure is 28 PSI
    Tried installing brand new pressure switch and water pressure gauge
    Water pressure gauge rose to 26 PSI when I turned the pump breaker back on
    It stays at 26 PSI whether water is constantly running or not
    Can use shower/sink/toilet (one at a time) but have relatively low pressure
    Pressure switch doesn't seem to be cutting on and off... just stays on

Any ideas?
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Sep 2, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Broken pipe down in the well, or defective control box if equipped, or defective pump.
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Hi, I'll give you some ideas, I had a similar problem with my well. I believe it's called waterlogged. It would cycle on and off and did not have much pressure. I was told to totally drained my pressure tank and then added the correct amt of air to the tank bladder at the rated pressure then refill the pressure tank with water (that pressure rating should be on the tank). I then found out the internal air bladder had rupture and I had to replace the Pressure tank. Just some thoughts I'm not a plumber.

Sep 2, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Dave,
    I've been in the water treatment business for about 20 years. A lot of my work is with wells. If you have a control box, pick up a replacement. Most building centers and hardware stores have them. Most of the time, you don't even have to replace the whole box unless the back of it is rusted out. You can pull off the cover and put the new cover on it. All of the controls are on the cover. It very well could be the start capacitor. Sometimes the pump will start with a defective capacitor, but will not get all the way up to speed.

If the drop pipe down in the well has holes or cracked fittings, it will allow all of the water to continue to wash the inside of the casing.

If the pump has lost some stages, or has worn out impellers, it will have to be replaced.

If equipped, I would try the box first. If it is bad, it is an easy fix.

If it is not bad, and the problem is down in the well, I would suggest you call a well pump repairman. It really can be difficult to do. If you tear into it, and aren't successful, the pump man may charge you extra for a "basket case". I personally have done a couple of submersible pump replacements over the years. But, I've replaced tons of switches and controls up on top. The pump can be a real back-breaker, finger smasher experience. And, if you drop the pump or pipe down in the well, oh boy?

Here's a picture of the box.. Name:  franklin 1hp box pic.jpg
Views: 4950
Size:  3.7 KB

Good Luck,
    Al

Sep 3, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Thank you for all the suggestions!

My system doesn't have a control box so unfortunately I don't think it's going to be an easy fix.

I'm wondering if the problem is either the pressure tank is bad or the "T' is clogged since the tank isn't filling up.

Does anyone know if it takes more pressure (or less) to fill the tank than to get water two stories up to a shower?

Sep 3, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Dave,
    There could be something between the well and the tank. If you can post pictures, one of us can direct you. Most of the references that you see in other posts are to the little 1/4' pipe or tubing under the pressure switch.

I never say "no-way", but it would be just about impossible for the pipe to be clogged between the pump and the tank. The only thing that I can think of that would clog the pipe is if a poppet came out of a check valve down on the pump and lodged in the pipe. There could be a defective valve, or check valve if there is one between the pump and the tank.

If you have a tee right by the well head, or a hose bibb, you could put a gauge there and see what you psi you get there.
    Al
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 3, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Is there a chance the well mite be dry?Have you ever done a gallon per miniute test on it.

Sep 3, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Great idea! I haven't done a gallon per minute test on it. I pulled the lid off the well (it's one of the wide ones) and looked down. I could see water and hear the pump running but it's hard to tell if the pump is completely submerged or not.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that it should still fill the pressure tank if there wasn't a problem with it or a clogged tee though since I can get water two floors up.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 3, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Im not an expert Dave I think it all depends on how long the well sits to be refilled.At our cottage I have a 1 1/4" sand point well and dureing 2 weeks of summer vacation we have up to 25 people staying with us, if every one uses the shower in the morning the well can't keep up, shower going,dishes being washed etc.It takes about an hour to fill back up so we can use it, we loose pressure and loose the prime.What I'm getting at is if your well has sat over night and was allowed to refill you won't have that problem but if you have lots of water use you will loose water pressure or prime due to a lot of use, make sense,lol.Seeing as your well sounds like a dug well and not a drilled well,check and see with a string and a nut or bolt for weight to see how much water you have in your well.You mite be able to lower your pump a little lower for the time being to get you threw.
    fn1000 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 02:40 AM
    The pressure in the pressure tank should be lesser than the pressure being produced by the pump at the pressure tank level. If you have bought the pump with 26 PSI pressure and the air pressure in the tank is 28 PSI how it can fill the tank keeping the view the following loss in pressure as well.

1. Loss in pressure due to Static head
    2. Loss in pressure due to velocity and friction head.

You have to have a pump with the following pressure rating to serve the purpose.

30 PSI + Water level in the borehole+ Line losses.

For you as a layman is suggest a pump with 50 PSI pressure.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2010, 10:17 AM

VDave, something is preventing the pump from pumping over 26# of pressure. It's highly unlikely it is the tank or the switch. All the switch can do is turn the pump on, and it has done that. The tank is not waterlogged since you say that it won't fill, which is the opposite of what a waterlogged tank would do. So, you are probably looking at a leaking well pipe or worn out pump. Since you can see into the well, you should be able to hear water spilling out of a leaking pipe. The fact that pressure won't go over 26# AND the fact that you have very little pump volume (can't use but one faucet at a time) all points, for me, to the pump. How old is it?

BTW, it is also possible that you have a leak between the tank and the house, but that's unlikely as you would probably be able to see that by now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen submersible pump [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Catskills on the mountain and neighbors that have wells have sulphur smelling water. So I take the water from the brook that runs by my house, a brook that is fed with springs about 1/4 mile upstream. Last night it was so cold that my submersible pump in the creek froze. It was partly up...

Submersible Pump [ 6 Answers ]

A friend asked me to hook up his water pump. He has the red black yellow and green wires running to the house, which he wants hooked up to the box. This is not right is it. I thought that power came from main box to a control box and these wires hooked to control box from pump?

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

View more questions Search