Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frohme Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Height of drain pipe for washer
    Sorry, but I think this may be a totally rookie question. Instead of having our washing machine discharge into a sanitary tub I added a T to the drain and made a dedicated drain for the washer. The height of the pipe was only about half of the height of the washer itself. Now, when the washer tries to fill itself, the water seems to be running right out the drain. IE the washer never fills.

Is there a requirement that the drain be as high, or higher than the highest fill level of the washer?

Thanks.
    Scott
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 3, 2006, 05:36 AM
    HI Scott,
    "Is there a requirement that the drain be as high, or higher than the highest fill level of the washer?"

Go to the head of the class! The washer stand pipe should be one or two inches over the flood rim of the washer to operate correctly.

"When the washer tries to fill itself, the water seems to be running right out the drain. IE the washer never fills."

One of the basic rules of plumbing is that water will seek its own level. To contain the water in the washer tub the hose must be higher then the level in the tub. Good luck, tom
    frohme Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Thanks Tom!

I guess I always thought there was a valve that opened when it was time to let the water out...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Cleaner in Washer Pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

Would it hurt anything if I tried pouring some drain unclogger like Liquid Plumber in my washing machine drain pipe? It keeps overflowing, but I don't want to create a bigger problem.

3/4" copper pipe for washer drain? [ 20 Answers ]

Parents moved into new ranch style house, and bought new washer/dryer. Drain for washer is what looks like a 1" copper stub with a 3/4" conversion fitting on it. Its about 6" off the ground. plastic bendable hose drain for washer has a rubber gasket-type fitting around it which fits in 2" PVC...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Washer Drain pipe leak [ 5 Answers ]

My washer Drain had a pretty serious leak. It is commomed up with a drain from the suite above me right after the drain trap. The day that it leaked the drains were augered as a part of routine building maintenance. The leak stopped on it's own and hasn't leaked since. Can anyone suggest some...

Washer Discharge Height [ 5 Answers ]

I need confirmation on my next project. I have to move the washer/dryer to a new location. Dryer is no problem. Water supply is not a problem, but I have no way to install a drain in the floor (I'm on a slab). I can run a 3" PVC pipe from the new location to the original drain location in a...

View more questions Search