Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dldafforn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Replace sch 40 pvc to cast iron saddle 4 in pvc pipe broke
    Replace sch 40 pvc into cast iron saddle with lead pvc pipe broke off even with lead packing what is the easiest way to remove pvc and lead to replace it
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 03:46 AM
    We don't use lead joints anymore. You can buy all kinds of universal couplings that will connect PVC and cast iron, like Flex Seal or No-Hub coupling to connect these two materials.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 03:56 AM
    See if I understand this...

Pvc pipe is broke off flush with cast iron hub and you want to know how to remove the lead ring around the pvc pipe and the pvc pipe itself..

If this is the case, you can take a drill with a 3/8" drill bit (or smaller) and drill a series of a few holes about 1 to 1.5 inches deep through the lead ring that surrounds the pvc pipe... then take a screwdriver and actually PRY the lead ring up and out of the cast iron hub.

Could also use a sawzall to cut vertical cuts into the pipe and then remove pipe in pieces and then work the lead ring out with hammer and screwdriver (put towel with string around it into pipe if do this so stuff won't fall down the drain by mistake).

Then, remove the OAKUM material that is under the lead ring by using screwdriver to pry this softer material up and out (wiggle pipe with plyers and hit gently with hammer to rock the pipe).

Once pvc pipe is removed then you can use a manhoff fitting and plastic lead to install new joint (see pictures below).

If I missed this one then perhaps Milo is correct and you should be using mission clamps or nohub bands to connect pipes?

Let us know more here...

MARK
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Mark, clarify something for me. "Pvc pipe is broke off flush with cast iron hub and you want to know how to remove the lead ring around the pvc pipe and the pvc pipe itself..?" I did not think you could have a cast to PVC using oakum and poured lead, can you?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Hi Bob...

Yup! Can take the manhoff fitting I posted and use that with molten lead... no issue because extra thick and exactly what it is made for... but nead to caulk the joint with the caulking irons before completely cools.

Others will actually take a piece of PVC pipe (not foamcore) and place into cast hub and then install the oakum and then pour the molten lead.. and yes!. believe it or not the pvc won't melt all the way through. This is illegal as I am sure you know!

Hope that answered your question.

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Replace cast iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I need to cut out about 10 feet of cast iron pipe and replace it with pvc 2 questions how do I cut this old pipe ? And what should I use to splice in the pvc I was thinking a sawsall to cut it out and rubber boots to splice it back together with the pvc Thanks David

Replace Cracked Cast Iron Waste Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago, water started seeping through my downstairs bathroom wall whenever the upstairs shower was being used. After cutting into my bathroom wall, we found that the cast iron waste pipe was installed inside the wall and had a 6 inch vertical crack in it. The crack is on a 5 foot piece of...

Main drain cast iron broke [ 1 Answers ]

My plumber is having a hard time cutting out the drain pipe to our new t.I. commercial location. When we dug out the concrete to lay out our pipes to connect the main drain pipe we saw a hole about 2" diameter on the top side. The plumber tried to cut it and it keeps breaking off. What tools...

Replace cast iron flange? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm new to the site, and have found tons of useful information, but I now have several possible routes to take, and I don't know which one will be best for me. I am retiling my bathroom, and I have a cast iron flange that is much too high and has a crack in it. I've read that I can lower...

View more questions Search