Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fiddlefaddle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Gas Grill - Propane tank to fit?

Hi Everyone: I have a question regarding a propane tank on my gas grill. About a year and a half ago, I moved and the movers told me they would not move the propane tank, due to safety issues, but they did move the gas grill (sans propane tank). Since my sister needed a tank anyway, I gave it to her, so I no longer have the original one.

A friend gave me an old propane tank when I moved here, and I have been trying to hook it up to my gas grill, which is now about 4 years old but in excellent condition, and the connections just do not match up, no matter what I try to do.

Does anyone know if the connections on propane tanks have changed recently, OR, does anyone have any idea as to what I could be doing wrong? I have never had a problem hooking up the tank to the grill in the past, but this time, no matter what I do, I can't get it to connect.

If the connections have changed, does that mean I will have to purchase a new gas grill, or would anyone happen to know if there may be an adapter that would work? This grill is in good shape and I would hate to think that I could no longer use it because the tank doesn't connect.

Thanks for your help, everyone. This is my very first post! You all are great, very helpful and polite... well, thanks again!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Is it a Rhino tank? If so, this may be the issue:

Beware of Blue Rhino Propane Tank Exchange - Cooking Outdoors Forum - GardenWeb

Also, your propane tank should have a triangular shape valve handle, not the old 5-sided round one. This indicates it has the overflow protection device.. See:

The New Propane Cylinder - Is your Propane cylinder obsolete?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Yes, propane cylinder connections changed several years ago. Both types are still in use. Just take tank to an exchange facility (Home Depot) and request the other type.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to bleed a propane furnace after tank runs empty [ 3 Answers ]

I believe I need to bleed the propane line to my furnace. The propane tank ran empty and the furnace lit only briefly right after the tank was refilled. (It's possible that the propane tech and I were both mistaken and we just heard the fan and not the burner.) But I can't find where to bleed...

Who owns this propane tank? [ 8 Answers ]

I purchased this house from my ex husband whom originally bought the house before we were married. He never signed any type of lease agreement nor was it stated in the homeowners that the tank was leased. The house was purchased new so my ex dealt with the builder exclusively who used the home as...

Propane Tank Ownership Issue [ 5 Answers ]

We purchased a used home one year ago. On the premises is a buried 500 gal propane tank which was the fuel source for an inground pool heater (not used for anything else). The tank existence was disclosed to us. But there was no indication that the tank was not owned by the seller. (I am told...

Ownership of Propane Tank [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a house 3 years ago. We were told the propane tank which is used for heat, hot water and cooking, belongs to us as the original owner purchased it. We were having a company who had been filling it for the previous owner do so for us. Then we found another company filling it one day....

TW and WC on a propane tank [ 1 Answers ]

What do those stand for? I was looking on some of the common sized ones, and the TW was about 18 - 17.5, 18.9, etc. The WC was closer to 48. Most of the places exchanging tanks here only put in 17-18 pounds which is much less than the tank would hold if the WC is the weight charged, or weight...

View more questions Search