Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uhhhherewego Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Stiff main shutoff valve
    I followed the main water supply line to the hot water heat and to 4 other knobs very close to each other and coulnt get my water to turn off to fix a toilet faucet. I would have just killed the main but I couldn't turn the handle. Maybe wd40 to loosen it up? But I don't want to break it, but I also don't want to not be able to turn the main shutoff in case of an emergency. Any thoughts on unsticking the main valve.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uhhhherewego
    i followed the main water supply line to the hot water heat and to 4 other knobs very close to each other and coulnt get my water to turn off to fix a toilet faucet. i would have just killed the main but i couldnt turn the handle. maybe wd40 to loosen it up? but i dont want to break it, but i also dont want to not be able to turn the main shutoff incase of an emergency. any thoughts on unsticking the main valve.
    I'm assuming that you have a regular washer type shut off. The nut just below the handle on the stem is called , The Bonnet Packing Nut. Take a crescent wrench and loosen the Bonnet Packing Nut a turn or two and see if that doesn't help. If it leaks a bit past the nut then snug it up until the leak stops. Good luck. Tom
    plumber_boi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 01:40 AM
    I'd get it turned off at the street and replace it with a ball valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will water main shutoff cause other issues. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to replace my kitchen sink shutoff valves. I live in a condo which is in a 7 unit house. I believe that I need to shut off the water to the entire house to do what I want. Just need to know if doing that will somehow damage or mess up the water heaters or boiler and I...

Shutoff valve for toilet [ 1 Answers ]

How to repair a leaking shutoff valve to a toilet?

Where would main water shutoff for house be located [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry But I got the cold water shut off under the kitchen sink bu cannot get the hot water to shutoff and now I have broken it. Would main shut off be in the laundry room? Thank you:confused:

Hot water shutoff valve? [ 14 Answers ]

Any reason to install, or not to install, a shut off valve in the hot water line at the water heater? Any safety concerns by shutting the hot water at the heater? I’ve seen several installations with shut offs in the hot supply, but the majority are without. Never could get a firm answer on the...

Water Shutoff Valve [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Quote: Originally Posted by Rowland Two Prob: 1) Indiviual water shutoffs not working in 36 year old home bathrooms/kitchen. Repair or replace? Are they repairable? 2) Dwelling/Home main shutoff in basement not...

View more questions Search