Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lauferein Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Sediment in well water
    I have submersible water pump. I take the water from a nearby brook. When it rains heavily, the water becomes full of sediment and the sediment clogs ther relief valve, which oafter a while fails to close completely and the water from the tanks is drained back to the brook. And then the pump is automatically turned on again.
    Somebody suggested that I should install a "sediment filter". I inquired in the LOEW's hardware department and the did not know anything about it.
    Can anybody suggest where to get a sediment filter and how to install it. My plumbing is a little complicated as I would have to instal any filter into a rubber hose that brings the water from the pump to the house.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 10:28 AM
    By relief valve I think you mean a check valve. Where is the valve, just above the pump or near the tank?
    lauferein Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Near the tank. It is difficult to get to it. I have to disassemble the stove to get to it, but I guess that it is the only way to replace the valve.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 04:49 PM
    I think you would be better off installing a sand or sediment tank. That would just be another tank between the pump and the pressure tank. You pipe the water into the bottom half of the tank and out the top. The bigger the tank the better. This is just a place for the water to sit for a while so the sand or sediment can settle to the bottom. The should be a drain at the bottom so you can periodically flush the sediment out.

If you have enough sediment to clog the check valve any type of filter will clog just as fast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sediment in pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I recently bought an old house. There is a complicated water filtration system in the basement, I have heard that the water here has a lot of elements in it. The most annoying is the sulfur. I called a plumber to teach me how to use the system and he told me to add chlorine bleach to it. It...

Problems with sediment in the well water [ 2 Answers ]

OK, This is question. What causes fine grey particals to build up in my well water? This is so fine that it can go threw sand filters but then it cloggs a house filter of all kinds within 20 minutes for some and 1 week for others. It is burning up my pressure realease switch for the well pump...

Sediment in Pipes - flush it? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Group - this is my first post here. A bit of background: 1973 House on a well 75ft of 1.5 pipe from well to house No filter on well (yet) No water softener Copper plumbing

Possible sediment in water lines [ 2 Answers ]

Just had to repair a leak on incoming water line to house. All seemed OK, until later on that night there was no water in a bathroom, not the sink, not the shower... what are thoughts about diabnosing problem? There is a kitchen and bath ahead of this area and all seems okay there... If there is...

View more questions Search