Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Jul 27, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Basement leaking through cinderblock
    Hey folks -- we've been in this house -- our first -- for about a year.

A few times it has leaked in the basement at the foot of the walls -- today it was an inch of water.

No leaking from pipes. No leaking from holes/ cracks in walls. No leaking from windows.

It seems to seep in through the bottom-most concrete blocks.

What should we do? We want to drywall the basement sometime in the future.

These pictures seem to show past water damage at the bottom of the wall.
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Mmmm from your other posts, you seem to be having a lot of problems with this house of yours ? Have you learned anything yet from other posts ?

Jul 27, 2008, 08:35 PM
    It's a little bit of a fixer, but we've had a couple of surprises along the way. This is one of them.

I read the archives and have *eliminated* some possibilities, but do not have any solutions yet.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 10:25 PM
    First you should look at you gutters and down spouts to insure that they are clean and working. You should have splash blocks at each down spout or better yes pipes to carry water away from the house. Next look at your grading to insure that rain water is running away from the house. You may be surprised how effective these things can be.

If you still have water or dampness in the basement you will have two options.
    One, dig up the outside down to the footer level and install drain piping, hopefully draining to daylight.

Two, cut out the perimeter of the basement floor and install drain piping and a sump pump.
    If the leaking is confined to a small area you may get away with just installing a sump pump in that area but the correct way would be to put in the drain piping, especially if you plan on finishing off the basement.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 11:20 PM
    antipode12 - You can dig down about 2' and put in what is called a ( FRENCH DRAIN )- you dig out ward from the wall 2' , wide and 2' deep around the outside of the house( You want the water to go to a certain area that is lower then the highest point that you start at you will need about 1/4" to 1/2" fall in the line in every 10'. In the ditch you dig put about 2' of ( pea gravel ) lay and adjust fall in the 3" Black plastic SEWER FIELD LINE. It has holes in it 1/2 way around it .( When you lay it in the Center of the dug out area ( Make sure that the holes are faceing ( UP ). A good exper. Plumber that has done this before can give you a detailed explantion of what has to be done to put this system in.
    If this don't work then youy will have to go to another way , Way # 2 - Go to Lowe's, HOME DEPOT < A LUMBER YARD , Ect. And get yourself what is called ( WATER SEAL) you pain it on the concrete blooks ( usealy 2 coats ) But WATER DRY WORKS PRETTY GOOD.
    Antipole - what has happened is that the contractor that built the house, DID NOT do what was susposed to do before backfilling around the outside of the basement walls, the way I always done it was to tar the walls on the outside and put a layer of felt then put the 2nd coat of tar over that, it's been several years since I done some and as far as I know the basements are still dre. :: Good luck and GOD BLESS::: F.B.E.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 05:22 AM
    I just want to agree with previous posts: Wall bellow the ground level needs some kind of de-watering system - like suggested French Drain embedded in gravel. In many cases, we also install moisture barrier that is applied directly onto the wall. We never install hose bibs on basement walls. Period. Their presence creates more damage than you can imagine. Keep rain away from that area using gutters and strategically placed downspouts. Remove sprinklers. If you have plants in that area replace them with plants that don't need constant watering. Also, you can pour 24" flat concrete "walkway" around that wall gently sloping away from the house.

It would not be a good idea to cover that wall on the interior unless you are absolutely sure your moisture problem has been eliminated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2008, 05:40 AM
    I agree with FBE and Milo. Either a french drain,(see image) or a sump pump would seem to be the solution to your problem. Good luck, Tom

Jul 28, 2008, 09:29 AM
    OK, so I took your advice, and finally had a chance to assess the perimeter of the house.

The areas of the basement that take water (and have stains on the walls) are dirt outside. They also grade either flat or *toward* the house slightly. BUT, the adjacent yard (which is an undeveloped lot 10 feet away) is graded higher than mine.

(@speedball: my basement -- if it matters -- is a full 7 feet. Does a french drain have to drain below that?)

3 starting points:
    A) Gutters: My gutter's leader drains right at the house (no splash block). I could attach an extension to draw it away from the house, but the neighbor's yard and my yard grade *toward* the house. Won't water travel back to the foundation?
    Is there an alternative?

B) French drain: I don't really understand this. The water drains through soil to underground drain. Where does the water travel to? Again, my grade is flat-to-slightly-inclined against my house.

C) Re-grading: If I were to build up the grade against the house to create a slope, I'd probably come *very* close to the bottom of the siding. Bugs, termites, etc. an issue?

Thanks for all of your ideas.

EDIT: I took a couple of pics that highlight the grade and the clearance of the foundation wall. Also, you can see the distance to the adjacent yard.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2008, 11:49 AM
    It sounds lik you're getting the run off from the empty lot. Here's a "bare bones" explanation of how french drains are installed. Perhaps a sump pump would do you a better job. Have you water proofed the basement walls? If your grade slopes toward the house the basement's acting like a holding tank.
    A sump pump might just be your only answer or perhaps combination of both. But I would start by water proofing the basement walls and floor if necessary and grading away from the house would certainly help.
    Good luck, Tom

Good drainage is one of the most important ways to ensure that a home you construct stays dry and free of mold. Without proper drainage systems, groundwater can collect in the basement and lead to wood rot and mold—something you don't want to deal with later down the road. HGTVpro.com shows you how to install a French drain to eliminate water problems before they arise.

French Drain Systems
    The most reliable way to eliminate undesirable, freestanding water is to build a French drain system with slotted pipes, filter fabric and gravel. The outdated way to install French drain pipes doesn't require the gravel and the fabric. But without the gravel and the fabric, the French drain design can clog up with sand and soil over time.

The best way to build a French drain is to use perforated drainage pipes, which allow water to enter or exit through small openings along the pipe. The perforations can be circles or slots. But slotted pipes are better in French drain installations because they tend to reduce the amount of fine soil particles that get into the pipe.

How To Do It

Dig a trench along the outside of your footing. The trench should be at least 2 feet wide, and can be as deep as 6 feet for a basement or as shallow as 2 feet for a slab-on-grade home.

Lay the pipe on the virgin soil. It is very important that the pipe always be sloped from a higher starting point to an ending point of lower elevation, so gravity can force the water out. The grade should always slope away from the home to ensure that the water is directed away from the walls of the home.

Cover the pipe with at least 12 inches of washed gravel.

Lay filter fabric over the gravel to prevent any soil from clogging the pipe.

Back fill the foundation with topsoil back to its original grade height.

Finally, plant your grass and you're done.

Jul 28, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Thanks -- that's a lot of good info.

My one question is what is the terminus for the french drain? If I bury it 2' deep, where does the water go?
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Antipode12 - The question you just asked above this post, (ANSWER)- you need to get a little help on this project by a Expen. PLUMBER with this type of problem. HE should have a ( TRANSIT LEVEL<THAT HE CAN SHOOT THE GRADE OF THE AREA IN QUESTION< AND, Find the spot/s that would best for the water to come out the pipe of the french drain. That is going to be the final decision on the whole system, this will need to be done to find out , Also who owns the property next door that is vacant a and slopes and drains right against your house, You can talk to them about doing something about the problem or if they won't then all you have to do is write a letter to them and so much time to do it and then when they don't just go down to city hall and file a complaint. By law ,every where I have done construction , it has been the property owners next door to solve that problem, at their cost ,not yours, you might even want to talk to a lawyer about this . You may even be surprised about your leadle rights , Im going to try to get a member on here to address it, she is just in the right line of work and is from NY I think
    Good Luck AND GOD BLESS AND DO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH US ON THIS< SO THAT WE CAN ALL LEARN FROM IT AND KNOW BETTER HOW TO ANSWER A SIMLER QUESTION LATTER ::: F.B.E.
    CyFree Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Jul 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
    I'd strongly suggest you go with an internal perimeter drainage system. A french drain relies on gravity to divert the water away from foundations, or it needs to be hooked to a sump pump.

And then, french tiles clog with debris and mud, the filter fabric do too. External waterproofing is not ever-lasting and it is not something you can maintain or service. You will eventually run into the same problem years from now.
    And there is the hassle and mess of ruining your yard to dig out your foundations.

A internal perimeter drainage system running along your basement walls and diverting the water to a sump pump is your best bet. The installation is much less complicated and compared to digging out your foundation. And those systems can be easily maintained and serviced as needed without having to dig anything else, ever.

Look for a reputable contractor and a decent reliable interior drainage system. The type or warranty offered by the manufacturer on the product and the contractor on the service, should be your main indicator of the system's reliability.

Here's some info on the subject:
    How to Waterproof your Basement

Jul 28, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Thanks a ton.

I'm sure a plumber (or any other professional) would help, but I need to try to solve this myself first. I have the time to do the work. I just need to figure out the answer.

In the meantime, I'm going to fill the grade with soil to try to create a downslope.

Then, I'm going to try a simple surface french drain. It won't go very far (5 feet) but I'm hoping it will diffuse the water enough.

Has anyone simply tried concrete tile to redirect water?

Jul 28, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Cy, thanks for the response.

This seems like a LOT of work to solve the *symptom*, though. Am I wrong? The basement still gets water, but now it is pumped out?

I'm trying to avoid the water coming in in the first place. That seems like a more permanent solution.
    CyFree Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Jul 28, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Like I said... french drains will too eventually need maintenance. It is not even a matter of if your basement will ever have any water coming in again, but when.
    Basements are also prone to water "accidents" such as bursting washing machine hoses, corroded water heaters, condensation around pipes and ducts, pipe leaks... The kind of very common problem that can never be addressed by a french drain.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Antipode - Uselly ,concrete tile dot have the openings in it like the type we have described, also clay type tile doesent either , SORRY , But a short one to do a test with might give you a good idea as to what will help . As to what the gentleman stated above ,I know some that has been in the ground for several years and the french drain is still woorking fine, If the system is put in right , its going to work fine for years to ncome. :: F.B.E.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    Also who owns the property next door that is vacant a nd slopes and drains right against your house, ,You can talk to them about doing something about the problem or if they wont then all you have to do is write a letter to them and so much time to do it and then when they dont just go down to city hall and file a complaint. By law ,every where i have done construction , it has been the property owners next door to solve that problem,,at their cost ,not yours, you might even want to talk to a lawyer about this . you may even be surprized about your leadle rights , Im going to try to get a member on here to adress it, she is just in the right line of work and is from NY i think
    Good Luck AND GOD BLESS AND DO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH US ON THIS< SO THAT WE CAN ALL LEARN FROM IT AND KNOW BETTER HOW TO ANSWER A SIMLER QUESTION LATTER ::: F.B.E.

I don't see the Town/City acting on this UNLESS there has been a change in the property next door which you can prove is causing this problem.

For example, they have put in 12" of fill and now you have flooding. If this is a long-standing problem (and it appears it might be because there is staining) and there have been no changes and the Town/City in most cases will do nothing.

If the old staining is visible and not concealed you are assumed to have checked these issues before you purchased and are taking possession sort of as is - and that includes the water problem.

The other problem is if this only happens, for example, in times of very heavy rain, uncommon heavy rain, there may not be fault even after the 12" of fill. Some of this cannot be anticipated.

If, of course, the problem was hidden by paneling or something, well, then I would believe the previous owner has some liability here.

(Thanks for the vote of confidence, Flyingblueeagle - you put a smile on my face and made my day!)
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Jul 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Unless your house is very old, it should have a perimeter drain already that drains to a location lower than the basement floor. Usually these are connected to the municipal storm-water system. From the surface down to the pipe should be gravel of uniform size, so that water can flow between the rocks down to the perforated pipe at the bottom before it hits the basement wall. This is your french drain. If the water is seeping in in one place, the gravel may be sealed with a layer of soil (a flower bed, maybe) or an accumulation of leaves, perhaps, allowing surface water to reach the wall. It may be that the drain is plugged downstream. You need to find a convenient place to dig down by the wall and see what is there.

Jul 28, 2008, 04:28 PM
    @wwpierre: The house is from 1960, and I see no sign that there are drains or pumps anywhere. Also, we have cesspools, not sewers. Oh, and no gravel around the house.

@Judy: I agree, and we knew of prior issues when we bought. However, we were assured that it hadn't happened in a long while. To be fair, it only happened twice on us in one year. Moderate - heavy rain.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Foundation or footer drains were probably installed when built but long since clog with sand and silt. Sounds like you should plan on cutting out 18 to 24" of basment floor around the walls, installing new drainage pipe and a sump pump. Better now than after you finish off basement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement drain keeps leaking water into our basement [ 3 Answers ]

We have lived in our house for over a year and have no problems with plumbing until this week. One of our basement drains keeps over flowing. Nothing is running. Like a dishwasher,washer, etc.) I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out...

Insulating bathroom walls in cinderblock basement [ 7 Answers ]

I have a cinderblock basement in Texas built on a slab foundation. How do I insulate and waterproof a bathroom in this area as two of the walls of the bathroom will be on the cinderblock walls. This is new construction. Cc russell

How to remove paint from basement cinderblock . [ 1 Answers ]

Last weekend's nor'easter was more than my 75-year-old basement could stand. Water infiltrated through at least two of the original cinderblock foundation walls. Considering how much rain we had, the amount of seepage wasn't extreme (small rivulets flowing from a few places under the sheetrock)...

Concrete cinderblock exterior wall leaking water [ 8 Answers ]

The drywall and baseboards in the inside exterior kitchen wall were rotting and wet. It is about 6-10 inches above ground level. We live in a concrtete cinderblock house in Florida. After removing the exterior stucco we found water oozing from what appears to be inside the conctrete. What could...

Leaking basement [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the N.E. where there is lots of rain and snow. The house does not have gutters and leaders. (told not to use in order to prevent ice dams) A leak has developed along 3 ft of the basement wall. It appears to be the result of water coming off the roof at that place in great quantity...

View more questions Search