Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg335i Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Attaching new 2" drain pipe to existing 3" soil stack - PVC
    All,

I am installing an additional sink on the main level of my home. On the lower level, below, there is a main 3" soil stack.
    I am thinking to use a 3"x2" Y connector to tie 2" drain pipe into this main soil stack.
    The sink will be vented using AAV (island)

Questions:

1. Is there any particular height requirement for that tie-in (off ceiling, off floor)?
    2. If not, can I tie it as close to the top of lower level as I can?
    3. Can I use regular Y connector or do I have to use one with rubber gaskets and metal tie-in bands?

Water question:
    I have 3/4 cold/hot water pipes in the lower level I can tie to; is there any requirement how close the new WATER tie-in has to be to the existing 1/2 pipes coming off 3/4?

Thank you
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 28, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Hey Greg,
    1. Is there any particular height requirement for that tie-in (off ceiling, off floor)?
    We stub out for a sink at 18" off the floor.
    2. If not, can I tie it as close to the top of lower level as I can?
    I don't understand the question. The top of what lower level?
    3. Can I use regular Y connector or do I have to use one with rubber gaskets and metal tie-in bands?
    You don't use a wye at all. You will pick up your sink with a 3 X 2" Sanitary Tee and vent with a AAV, (see image).
    [QUOTE]Water question:
    I have 3/4 cold/hot water pipes in the lower level I can tie to; is there any requirement how close the new WATER tie-in has to be to the existing 1/2 pipes coming off 3/4?/QUOTE]
    There is no distance requirement, however, it's recommended that no more then three fixtures be connected to a 1/2" branch. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Thanks for posting the photos. It gives exact visual of your situation...

In my region, sink drain comes out of the wall at 17" from the floor. If it is service / laundry sink than you may want to put it few inches lower since laundry sinks are deeper.

Cut your 3" PVC pipe. Cut and remove small section that is equivalent to the height of your new Sanitary Tee. Glue in 3"x2" sanitary tee. Looking at your photo, you should have enough slack in the pipe to be able to move it up so you can insert your San-Tee without using any coupling. But if you have no slack - use Flex-Seal coupling.

Height of your new San-Tee depends on how far it is from the connection your new sink. Slope should run about 1/4" per foot. So do you math.

In this scenario, there really aren't any specific requirements for water installation. Just tap-in as needed.

Jun 28, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Tom and Milo, thank you guys.

Tom, to answer your question:
    I don't understand the question. The top of what lower level?
    1. The photos that you see are in the LOWER level.
    2. The sink goes on the level above this one, consequently, the pipe you see on the pictures is BELOW the sink.
    3. I am sorry to not forming the question right. Both of you answered that the sanitary Tee has to be installed about 18" off the floor on the lower level (where the soil stack is)

The NEW 2" sink drain pipe will be coming from the top: see right picture, where 3" soil stack turns inward to the floor of the level above, this is where the new 2" pipe will come out from the space between the ceiling and the floor. So my question was:
    Can I install San-T on the straight section of the pipe (after the 2 45's you see on the right pic)? Mind you that is about 5 feet from the floor. OR do I have to take my new 2", run it down parallel to the stack, and then turn it to the right and tie it 18" off the floor? I just do not see why I have to run 2" parallel to the soil stack just to tie it in at an appropriate distance from the floor. Why couldn't I tie it higher? The sink is on the level above anyway.
    Thank you for your comments.

Jun 28, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Attaching new 2" drain pipe to existing 3" soil stack - PVC (continued)
    Guys

Could you please take a look at these picture and let me know if I am progressing in the right direction.

On the pictures you see (from top to bottom)

1. Proposed tie-in of 2" drain to 3" soil stack
    2. 2" drain horizontal run
    3. Clean-out on the 2" and run toward kitchen island
    4. Floor opening with 2" coming down to the place it has to come out of the floor.

Please comment

Thank you
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tying 2" drain pipe to perpendicular 3" drain line under slap [ 3 Answers ]

I want to avoid a 90 degree bend under slab. However, I have to reduce from the 2" pipe that drains the WM to the 3" main drain line, and the reducing tee I find has a very small sweep. Do I need to use a reducing combination wye and is there such thing?

Double-standards, mixed blood, and the "law of soil" [ 1 Answers ]

I am an American born first-generation Japanese. My early childhood was spent in a black neighborhood, and my adolesence in white suburbia. I do not know my native tongue fluently, although every day I wish that I had been taught as a child. I would like to know the opinions of others who were born...

Rigged 3" Soil Pipe [ 4 Answers ]

Need ideas desperately! I've got a bath that I retiled as I hated the 6" glossy white tile on the floor and subway white tile in the shower. House was bought new 1-1/2 years ago. Here's the problem. Didn't realize the toilet was 10" rough in. Knew everything fell of the toilet lid because it was...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

New sink drain 2" off from existing drain [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry for the dumb novice question, but thanks in advance for the advice. My new lavatory sink's drain is 2" away from lining up with the existing p- trap drain pipe. I REALLY don't want to cut off the whole p-trap drain to install a new one that would fit where I need it (as someone has...

View more questions Search