Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rentmyhouse Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Toilet Flange too high
    My hired help left the new tile floor about 1 1/4 inch too low for the existing Cast Iron toilet flange. I know this has been addressed previously on thjis site but I couldn't quite understnd the proper solution. I'm hoping my attached picture of my situation will provide a basis for a clear answer and a better understanding on my part.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 02:31 PM
    RHM:

If you remove the black plastic piece in the flange... how far down before you see the pipe..?

You may be able to take 2"x4" and a hammer and lower the flange by banging it down... but that will depend on where the cast iron pipe is in relation to the finish floor...

Let me know... MARK
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 04:18 PM
    I would get a SawsAll with a bimetal blade and cutthe pipe immediately below the flange. Then, install an Oatey twist-n-set flange. Twist N Set Cast Iron Replacement Closet Flange :: Oatey.com

Jun 24, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Okay, the cast iron pipe came all the way to the top of the flange. I remembered what speedball had suggested previously and I used a 2x4 to "tap" the flange down around the pipe. It seems to have worked and now the flange is resting (still in 1 piece) on the tile.
    The pipe left sticking out will need to be removed and again, I recall the suggestion was to nip it down bit by bit until it's about even with the top of the flange.

What should I use to nip it with and what do I need to do to reseal the flange to the pipe?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Hey RMH:

Nipping of cast iron pipe can work... sometimes. If you want to try that you can use any pair of water pump pliers or similar tool to nibble away at the cast pipe (see picture).

I also think that you can use a bimetal blade or a lennox diamond blade if you can find one... and sawzall tool (see pic.) as suggested by Ballengerb1 to simply cut the pipe that is above the flange at this point... ;) . Then you would need to RE-PACK the leaded joint around the pipe (ask about this if you try this).

A grinder with metal cutting blade will also work here... just be sure to wear SAFETY GLASSES and a mask if you try this... ;)

Otherwise, can also drill out some of the lead surrounding the cast iron pipe at the flange, pry up the lead ring, and then remove the old flange and cut cast iron pipe flush to the finished floor and then use the TWIST AND SET closet flange also as suggested by Bob (see other pic.). Let us know if need more info. here.

The Twist & Set is available at local home supply store... ;)

Mark
    Attached Images

Jun 25, 2008, 06:13 AM
    I really appreciate all the help with this. I think I just found my new favorite web site because I'm constantly getting into something over my head !
    John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rentmyhouse
    My hired help left the new tile floor about 1 1/4 inch too low for the existing Cast Iron toilet flange. I know this has been addressed previously on thjis site but I couldn't quite understnd the proper solution. I'm hoping my attached picture of my situation will provide a basis for a clear answer and a better understanding on my part.
    Marks answer is how I do it,
    You may be able to take 2"x4" and a hammer and lower the flange by banging it down
    However I nibble off the cast iron pipe using a crescent wrench, (see image).
    After you get the flange down to floor level you will have to recaulk, (not repour) the lead joint. You will hjave to use inside and outside caulking irons 4 and 5(see image) to do this. Rent a pair at your local Rent All. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flange too high [ 4 Answers ]

I'm replacing my toilet. For the toilet I bought the floor waste flange is too high. Old house and it would be difficult to lower waste pipe from underneath. Any suggestions?

Toilet flange height too high? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the allowable height of a PVC toilet flange above a tile floor. The Oatey screw and set PVC flange insert into my 3" cast iron waste line sits on top of my new tile floor. The thickness of the flange top is 1/2" . So the flange height is 1/2" above the floor level. ...

High Flange For A Toilet [ 7 Answers ]

Please help. We just made a big mistake when installing the toilet flange. It sit 3" up off the concrete. The flange is attached to a street 90. Any ideas. Are there any toilet with high outlet??

High toilet flange [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new tile floor. The toilet flange is to high and the toilet sits about a 1/2 inch off the floor. What can I do to install the toilet?

Toilet Flange too high [ 4 Answers ]

Please Help! I am installing a new KOHLER toilet and I have purchased a new PVC toilet Flange which sits inside of my waste pipe, I primed and sealed it to the existing waste pipe and it sits too high off the floor, the toilet will not go to the floor with this type of flange, and if I saw it off...

View more questions Search