Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stunbear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2006, 10:44 AM
    New Floor and Toilet
    I am replacing the floor in my bathroom. I will be laying down 1/4 subfloor and then placing vinyl stick-down tile. My question is do I cut around the toilet, or do I extend the ring somehow and place the toilet on top of the new floor. I'm just afraid of the toilet leaking because of a not so tight seal. I would rather put it on the new floor. Can anyone give me the procedure to do this. Thanks don
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 16, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stunbear
    I am replacing the floor in my bathroom. I will be laying down 1/4 subfloor and then placing vinyl stick-down tile. My question is do I cut around the toilet, or do I extend the ring somehow and place the toilet on top of the new floor. I'm just afraid of the toilet leaking because of a not so tight seal. I would rather put it on the new floor. can anyone give me the procedure to do this. Thanks don
    Hi Don,'

As a rule we do the floor and set the toilet to the new installation. Since you have failed to inform me how far this will put the flange under the new floor line I'm afraid my advice will have to stop here. If you would care to get back with more details I'll be happy to respond. Cheers, Tom
    stunbear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Tom: I guess I was a little vague. I already have a toilet in this bathroom. I am remodeling the bathroom by putting down some new vinyl tile over the old floor. I'm going to tear up the old linoleum and put down some 1/4" luon over the existing floor. Then I am going to put some tiles down after that. Because the flange is already there from the old floor, I was wondering what I need to do when I raise the floor up by adding the luon and tiles. I didn't know if doubling the wax ring would do the trick, or if there was an extension of the flange available. Hope I made it clear. I appreciate your help. Don
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 16, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Hey Bear,

You still haven't gave me a answer to my primary question which was how far this will put the flange under the new floor line so I'm going to have to assume that the top of the flange is 3/8ths" under the floor line. If that's the case you may install a wax ring with a attached funnel. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange above floor level [ 56 Answers ]

I've seen plenty about the opposite problem - maybe this is something less common: my toilet flange is above the anticipated floor level. I recently removed old tile from the bathroom floor, planning to install new tile. In so doing, I discovered that the old tile was set on about 3 inches of...

Floor slightly tilted near toilet [ 5 Answers ]

Tore up an old floor in bathroom to have new plumbing installed but realized there is a slight grade heading downhill towards my toilet ,that will soon be installed along with my sink... what can I do besides tearing up my floor to level it out near the toilet and sink?will there be toilet issues...

Replacing toilet floor flange [ 3 Answers ]

I was replacing my toilet and found that my flange was rusted so much that I couldn't get the flange bolt on one side to lock into the flange so I must replace the flange. It's made of metal with ABS and obviously is glued into the ABS sewer pipe riser. I'm assuming that I need to get underneath...

Smelly floor around the toilet [ 5 Answers ]

We had a bit of an overenthusiastic time with the plunger, and it resulted in a leak in the wax ring of the toilet. We fixed the leak, but now there's a smell coming from the floor. I was wondering if there's a good way to take care of this without ripping everything out and apart to get rid of...

Ground floor toilet not emptying [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks again for all your help on this forum. My latest problem involves a toilet on the ground floor. The problem first occurred about 4 months ago. I flushed the toilet, it flushed, but the water level stayed about the same. Plunging the toilet didn't help. I removed the toilet, and could...

View more questions Search