Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdp05 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Shallow well jet pump
    I replaced foot valve and pressure switch but pump will not build pressure and pump out water
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Will the pump hold prime?

Jun 8, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Yes it maintained pressure over night just won't build up and pump out
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2008, 07:56 AM
    just won't build up and pump out
    Are you saying that it builds some pressure,(how much?) and won't build up any higher even though the control box's still calling for pressure or no water comes out at all? How deep is this well? Is the pump acting the sane way it did before you replaced the parts? Was that your original complaint? I need more details. Is this a Jet pump with two lines going down to the well or a shallow well centrifical pump? How old is the pump and did it stop working suddenly or did it come on gradual? Back to you. Tom

Jun 8, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Thanks for the quick response, I don't know how old the pump is, it is my aunt's house
    She calls me to fix anything. My situation, the pump was just running with no pressure
    So I figured the foot valve was bad. She said she had water up until she called. I replaced the
    Foot valve and pressure switch. I primed the pump back up to pressure but it only pumps to
    20 25 psi and stays on I shut the ball valve off to house it still doesn't build pressure
    And when I open valve no water runs and pressure maintains same I am bothered please
    Any help will do
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2008, 08:24 AM
    It's begaining to sound like the pump's bad. Please go back and answer what questions that you can but if the house systen's closed off and you still can't get pressure I'd be taking a real hard look at the pump. Regards, tom.

Jun 8, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Do you think when foot valve went bad the pump kept working and pumping without
    Shutting off until it may have burnt up
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rdp05
    do you think when foot valve went bad the pump kept working and pumping without
    shutting off until it may have burnt up
    I don't think the windings got toasted but when a pump runs dry for any length of time it trashes the seals and that's what I believe has happened. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install shallow well pump [ 1 Answers ]

I need some advice and a pipe diagram on installing a shallow well pump.It is replacing a jet pump I thinl]k that is what it was called,there was 2 pipe one was a return. The shallow well pump only calls for one pipe.Could I please get a piping diagram and some advice on installing the new shallow...

Do I need a Shallow well pump ? [ 9 Answers ]

:cool: Hi, I just bought a cabin that has a spring on the property up above the house at an entry elevation that is maybe 7-10' above the roof line. My spring flows into a shallow holding well then flows through 1" sprinkler line (Black plastic hose) The water must flow constantly because...

Shallow well pump [ 1 Answers ]

It will build pressure but as soon as it shuts off at 38lbs. It drops to 18lbs. In about 1min

Craftsman shallow well pump [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,I installed a 1/2 hp pump,to pump water out of a canal.The intake sets only 6 ft. below the pump.When I turn on the pump,it works fine, until it runs out of water. Then the pump keeps running.It has a 30 / 50 pre-set pressure switch.It has a built in check valve.No pressure tank.What do I do to...

New shallow pump-no water [ 3 Answers ]

Have 30 year old home with approx 30 year old 25' well.well not used for 3-4 years.installed new 1/2 hp pump with no tank.prime to top of plumbing,close valve and start pump.builds enough pressure to blow out primed fill but then stops pumping.how do I check for air.once empty can feel plenty of...

View more questions Search